not a diy yet? any help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if its possible to make an extra DIY filtration systen

When it says Bio media, what does that refer too. Like carbon in a basic filter

Bio-media would be something like bio-balls, pot scrubbies from the dollar store, or ceramic media like Biomax by Fluval or Matrix from Seachem...it's something for beneficial bactiera to grow on then water passes over the media.

Ah okay so like the outside of a filter basically. So what would the carbon be for?

Ah okay so like the outside of a filter basically. So what would the carbon be for?

Removing odors, medications, or organics from the water coloum. I don't use carbon for anything since performing regular water changes perform the same task and is better for overall fish health.

HUKIT said:
Removing odors, medications, or organics from the water coloum. I don't use carbon for anything since performing regular water changes perform the same task and is better for overall fish health.

So its basically just the bacteria you need and carbon just stalls water changes

Ah okay so I am gonna try to build just a basic filter as an extra

What size is your tank? Fresh or Salt? How are you currently filtering the tank now? How much space do you have for the filter and finally, what is your budget?

Affordable Aquatic said:
What size is your tank? Fresh or Salt? How are you currently filtering the tank now? How much space do you have for the filter and finally, what is your budget?

Well its a 10 g. I have an aqueon filter and plenty of space and if you know any thing then lets hear prices

Well, a 10 is pretty small, and your choices for an external bio filter are pretty slim.

I would suggest using the filter you have now primarily for mechanical filtration-- removing things that are floating in the water. Keep your eyes out for a similar-sized used HOB filter, or buy one new. Remove all the filter pads and either fill it with ceramic rings, or some other kind of ceramic bio media like Ehfi substrat pro. The ceramic media has a large surface area due to millions of microscopic pores which bacteria live on. With a 10 gallon tank water changes are a breeze, and you should rely more on doing regular water changes than increased filtration to keep your fish healthy.

-john

ceramic rings or substrate. Which is better and thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom