Not able to Fit Sump under Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MistaSparkL

Aquarium Advice Regular
My last aquarium sprung a leak, so i picked up a larger 90 gallon tank to replace it. I needed to have it set up right away, so I was not able to set up my sump. Now that i'm trying to build a sump--i can't fit anything larger than a 10 gallon tank through the aquarium stand's doors. Can I temporarily remove the center brace so that i can slide a larger sump through the front? The front brace looks like it is stapled in, and but i'm not sure how much weight it is supporting. Has anyone ever done this before?

My last aquarium sprung a leak, so i picked up a larger 90 gallon tank to replace it. I needed to have it set up right away, so I was not able to set up my sump. Now that i'm trying to build a sump--i can't fit anything larger than a 10 gallon tank through the aquarium stand's doors. Can I temporarily remove the center brace so that i can slide a larger sump through the front? The front brace looks like it is stapled in, and but i'm not sure how much weight it is supporting. Has anyone ever done this before?

it would probably be fine , but I can't say for sure without seeing the stand.

temporary supports, stick it under, replace the center style ASAP. Should be fine. Add the supports first.

Question: How much load is distributed to the center of the stand? When I rig up the support beams, will the load be great enough (after removing center brace) to sag and transfer onto the support beams? If so, won't it be difficult to replace the center brace if all of the load is then put on to the supports?

i had same issue with my 72 bowfront i took out the back center support (leaving front) I wasnt able to repalce it adaquatly so I renforced all four corners with 2x4 that was 6 months ago and tank is still up!!

Podman:
What do you mean exactly that you weren't able to replace the support adequately? Where you not able to fit the brace back in?

yea and I did this with a full tank so I wanst able to get inbetween the wall adn tank adaquately so i had to improvise

It sounds like the standard pine stand that most of have or have had. I would not take that brace out without replacing it with some temporary support. One method would involve making a leg that will stand inside, at the back of the stand. This leg would be used to rest a longer board that will sit horizontal with one end resting on the new leg. Make this horizontal piece long enough to extend a number of feet past the front of the stand. This end that is outside of the tank can not be rested on top of a chair, saw horse, just about anything that will not fall over. Use something like books to slightly build up the height of the outer support(chair ect...) to the point where you feel this board is bearing some of the weight of the tank, but not so much that you are putting uneven pressure under the middle of the tank.

With some of the weight of the tank transferred to this board you can safely remove the center support. The weight that was being supported by this member has been transferred along that horiz. board to both the temporary leg inside the stand as well as the chair. You may also want to somehow support the leg so that it can not tip over as well. I would also make sure that this leg is resting on something solid. The bottom of these stands are thin and can not support much weight on their own. If there is not a cross member under the floor of the stand, you can add something like a 2x4 layed flat on the floor of the stand. This will help spread the load to a greater area and tend to not deform the floor so much.

It's probably a good idea to measure the distance from the top of the stand to the floor so that you can maintain that distance. In the event there is some deflection due to your temp support, you will want to correct that so there remains even pressure on the bottom of the tank.

When the new sump is in place and you are ready to put things back together, you may want to use wood screws to secure the center support since it is nearly impossible to get those staples to work a second time around.

Hope this helps,
Good luck!

Look into a pocket-hole jig for reattaching the center support. I agree with others... staples wont be easy or effective in reattaching that center support. The pocket-hole jig will allow you to use screws, allow them to remain hidden, and reduce the chance of splitting either piece of wood you are screwing into.

Back
Top Bottom