Novice aquarium fan, wanting some advice on DIY project/dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeBon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a custom built 100l tank, that currently sits inside a 1950's (very retro) Phillips television. We have had the TV strengthened as it sits on four legs.
The tank hasn't been used yet as we have spent several months researching etc . Currently we have the following for the tank:
Eheim 200w heater
Glow T5HO 2x24w light
It would be really helpful if we could get some advice on the following:

1. We are playing around with the idea of getting the Eheim 2010 filter, as explained we have a 100l tank, will this be sufficient?

2. There is very little clearance between the top of the tank and the cabinet (about 10mm gap) and we have had a section cut-out of the top TV and hinged into place to make hatch for feeding etc. As it stands there isn't enough room to fit the light to the actual cabinet, it will have to sit within the tank, attached to the roof of tank (the tank itself isn't sealed, the roof has four glass panels - 2 sealed on with 3" holes, and 2 removable glass lids that complete the enclosed tank). In which case, could we get your advice on whether this is doable, eg. would the light become heavily condensated and would moving it to say, the sides or the back of the tank (externally) have a huge effect on the expel of the light within the tank?

We appreciate your help, thanks heaps

Does the light have a piece of plastic below the lights that would keep the water away from the lights? I would say behind the tank is not doable as it would ruin the viewing ability of the aquarium. Could you make a cutout on the top of the tv and put the lights on top? I you could put an old VCR cover or something over it. There are also LED light disturbed that are thin. You may look into those too.

Hi,thanks for the reply. The VCR idea is a great one. However,the tv we have had retro-fitted is quite large,so the VCR on top wouldn't work in this case. Could we place the light at either side of the tank? Or would that effect the way the light is distributed?

Thanks for your help.

The sides would be better than the back, but still may look a little odd. I suppose there might be pictures of side lights somewhere on the Internet and see if you like the look. Otherwise, I don't know. Maybe some sort of retro looking thing on top to cover the lights you have. Do you have a pic if it? That might give others a chance to see it and chime in too.

Led's? My diodes are practically in the water, no problem, I'm actually In the process of fitting them to be custom made acrylic hood, drilling small holes and affixing with zip ties, in your case perfect! image-2448500460.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388293466.893099.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388293478.724753.jpg
I've uploaded a picture of the tv/tank and a picture of what you see when you open the lid. The person who made the tank made holes in the top of the tank to allow for a light fitting,but there is VERY limited space and the only way we could fit an external light would be to glue the light fittings to the inside of the tank. If LED's throw out sufficient light,then I'm super tempted to go with a submersible one of them.

I've uploaded a picture of the tv/tank and a picture of what you see when you open the lid. The person who made the tank made holes in the top of the tank to allow for a light fitting,but there is VERY limited space and the only way we could fit an external light would be to glue the light fittings to the inside of the tank. If LED's throw out sufficient light,then I'm super tempted to go with a submersible one of them.
Looks great! The LEDs I am using came with a tetra 10 gal starter tank, either way they are super bright and full, you can def order a similar setup of Amazon, I will post pics of my retro fit tomorrow

So this is it, still under construction but hood lights are in. image-3234776677.jpg
Please forgive the crude appearance

It's look cool,you've done a super job on the hood lights. I'm yet to 'test' my project and fill it up with water :/ not 100% that it will hold on the legs,but the stand itself has been reinforced quite significantly.

Go on amazon.com and search led tape color changing, flexible, waterproof and remote controlledLEMONBEST 16.4FT SMD 5050 Water-resistant 300LEDs RGB Flexible LED Strip Light Lamp Kit + 44Key IR Remote Controller
http://amzn.com/B00AJJDLHQ

It's look cool,you've done a super job on the hood lights. I'm yet to 'test' my project and fill it up with water :/ not 100% that it will hold on the legs,but the stand itself has been reinforced quite significantly.
I think it should be fine, those old TVs had some serious weight to them, maybe fill it up little by little and access stand's stability?

Back
Top Bottom