old BioWheel Filter into a Refgium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
on my 20 gallon build Im working on, I have the rock, and sand on order. I really dont want to try and drill this tank, and I cant see spending 200 bucks for a HOB. So heres what Im thinking,

It came with a old BioWheel filter, missing the biowheel*go figure they threw it away cause it was old and looked dirty =(*

Im thinking of putting a very small sand base in it, maybe a few pieces of rock, and putting some algae in it. all on the Return side of it. Think this would work? It wouldnt be very big, but Im thinking with all the rock and sand in the tank, this would be just that little extra, I have Desk light I could use for the light.

I also have a Penn Pax 500 canister filter I could use, maybe some Rock in the base of it and just algae in the HOB?

Thanks a head of time!

I'd stick with the bio wheel idea. Won't do much but will filter. I'd leave any live rock and base out of the canister as it will churn around and might damage something.

Have you looked into buying a aquaclear 70 or 110 housing and making your own hob refugium?
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/65583-i-made-diy-aquaclear-refugium-pic-heavy.html

$20 bucks and free 2-day shipping if you have Prime:
Amazon.com: AquaClear Filter Case for 110/500 Power Filters: Pet Supplies

Or just buy the whole filter and use it that way instead of needing an extra powerhead/pump to run it. Instead of the filter pads and tray in the 110 just add your live rock and algae and it pumps for you.

$69
Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Pet Supplies

OR if your feeling really DIY then why not setup a sump/refugium? Have a spare 10-20 gallon tank sitting around?

I'm not a salt water guy, never owned one. But I've done a lot of research on refugiums and sump systems. It's not required but can help for extra bio-filtration, also for protein skimming i believe. You can also do a diy overflow using pvc and no drilling. Then how a single pump sent the water back up into the tank.

thank you! that is what I had in mind. I sat here all weekend looking at this filter thinking why cant I just make a HOB one?

A 2cd set of eyes always does the trick lol

Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom