Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguppies View Post

I know at the Lowes near me they do sell glass sheets and acrylic sheets.
All mine don't. . But I usually get a pre-made tank when it's a dollar a gallon at petco.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lovemyguppies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

All mine don't. . But I usually get a pre-made tank when it's a dollar a gallon at petco.
I always buy pre-made tanks. I'd be too scared that I'd mess something up and get tons of water all over my house if i built my own tank lol.
__________________

__________________
lovemyguppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguppies View Post

I always buy pre-made tanks. I'd be too scared that I'd mess something up and get tons of water all over my house if i built my own tank lol.
Same here. I don't trust my own hand work. Especially when it comes to the siliconing.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguppies View Post

I know at the Lowes near me they do sell glass sheets and acrylic sheets.
Mine sell small pieces of acrylic but nothing you could really make a big tank with maybe 20 tops
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lovemyguppies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

Mine sell small pieces of acrylic but nothing you could really make a big tank with maybe 20 tops
I think the biggest pieces of acrylic mine sells is 48"x24" so if you used that as the bottom you could make a pretty big tank. But i have no idea what size glass they sell since they don't keep that out, you have to ask for it.
__________________
lovemyguppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquaman1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 231
Home Depot spent carry glass and the stuff at lowes isn't very thick. 1/8 inch I think is as thick as they sell. You could use glass that thin on a 10 gallon tank. You could build a longer short tank with thinner glass you just have to brace it. The 86 gallon tank in my house I built is only 1/4 inch glass. I just put a lot of bracing around the top. Search euro bracing to get a better idea of what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1858273837.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	177301   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-999340629.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	177302  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-576170599.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	177303  
__________________
Aquaman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquaman1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 231
It's hard to see in the pictures but the bracing on the top is a double layer of 1/4 inch glass. Placed in a way that they all overlapped each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3602406766.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	177313   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-301248064.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	177315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-27647033.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	177316  
__________________
Aquaman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman1978 View Post
Home Depot spent carry glass and the stuff at lowes isn't very thick. 1/8 inch I think is as thick as they sell. You could use glass that thin on a 10 gallon tank. You could build a longer short tank with thinner glass you just have to brace it. The 86 gallon tank in my house I built is only 1/4 inch glass. I just put a lot of bracing around the top. Search euro bracing to get a better idea of what I am talking about.
Man, you must be really good at making these DIY tanks. They look awesome! It looks like one of those expensive tanks that cost over $1000. So instead of a plastic middle brace, you used glass?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquaman1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 231
Yeah I had glass left over so I figured that would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. The tank has been up for 3+ months and everything still looks great. I really got into building tanks. I am a carpenter by trade so the construction is familiar. It's a great feeling to build something then watch your fish enjoy what you have built. Hope I can help anyway possible.
__________________
Aquaman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman1978 View Post
Yeah I had glass left over so I figured that would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. The tank has been up for 3+ months and everything still looks great. I really got into building tanks. I am a carpenter by trade so the construction is familiar. It's a great feeling to build something then watch your fish enjoy what you have built. Hope I can help anyway possible.
Those are just amazing tanks........
I like to buy my own tanks though cause in afraid my handiwork will have flaws and one day, my DIY tank will crack.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.