Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I was wondering if I could use an old window to make a fish tank?

And mainly because u see this on my neighbors porch !

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3968947394.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	176715

And I'm going to ask him if I can have them

Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes you can. As long as it is not tempered so you can cut it. Do your research before you start. There are lot of things to conceder when building a tank. The size will determine the thickness of glass needed. There are aquarium glass calculators all over the Internet and several really good videos on YouTube. Uarujoey has some really informational instructional videos that I found very helpful in building my tank. Seen in picture. Make sure and use type 1 silicone made by GE. Works very well and it is fish safe as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1206259438.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	176736   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3673479074.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	176737  

Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman1978 View Post
Yes you can. As long as it is not tempered so you can cut it. Do your research before you start. There are lot of things to conceder when building a tank. The size will determine the thickness of glass needed. There are aquarium glass calculators all over the Internet and several really good videos on YouTube. Uarujoey has some really informational instructional videos that I found very helpful in building my tank. Seen in picture. Make sure and use type 1 silicone made by GE. Works very well and it is fish safe as well.
How do I tell if its tempered will it be blueish?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
My 55 gal is tempered but it is fine. I haven't drilled a hole in it though. Is tempered glass bad for an aquarium? Uarujoey is a very good DIY aquarium helper. Btw aquaman, your tank looks great.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

My 55 gal is tempered but it is fine. I haven't drilled a hole in it though. Is tempered glass bad for an aquarium? Uarujoey is a very good DIY aquarium helper. Btw aquaman, your tank looks great.
No tempered is fine it is just heat treated and stronger and instead of breaking into shards it breaks into clumps. My parents had a table on the back porch that was tempered glass and when I was like 8 a huge storm came through and som how the table flipped or something and all the glass was popping . Literally like pop corn you could hear it . I have no idea why that happened but I think that was an anomaly .
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can not cut or drill tempered glass. Most glass in house hold windows are annealed glass, meaning just regular glass. Most doors are tempered. Most windows have a stamp in one of the corners that may tell you what it is. Also most windows in houses are usually 1/8 inch which isn't really think enough from an aquarium of a good size. Maybe 10 gallon at most, even then I wouldn't use it. You need a minimum of 1/4 inch glass in my opinion. My 86 gallon tank I built was made out of old patio doors that were double pained. It took alot of work to get them apart but it was worth the effort.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You can not cut or drill tempered glass. Most glass in house hold windows are annealed glass, meaning just regular glass. Most doors are tempered. Most windows have a stamp in one of the corners that may tell you what it is. Also most windows in houses are usually 1/8 inch which isn't really think enough from an aquarium of a good size. Maybe 10 gallon at most, even then I wouldn't use it. You need a minimum of 1/4 inch glass in my opinion. My 86 gallon tank I built was made out of old patio doors that were double pained. It took alot of work to get them apart but it was worth the effort.
If its double paned that just means there is 2 sheets of glass correct ? And ya where do most people get their glass for aquariums ?

I just need a ten gallon breeder tank
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

If its double paned that just means there is 2 sheets of glass correct ? And ya where do most people get their glass for aquariums ?

I just need a ten gallon breeder tank
I'm wondering too, if people don't have a glass door/window they don't need, where do they get the glass? I don't see glass sheets for sale at any of my local hardware stores, including Lowes and Home Depot.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

I'm wondering too, if people don't have a glass door/window they don't need, where do they get the glass? I don't see glass sheets for sale at any of my local hardware stores, including Lowes and Home Depot.
You have to find like a window repair shop I guess
Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

You have to find like a window repair shop I guess
Lol. Guess so. What are you going to do with the 10 gallon breeder u plan to make?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com