Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

OPINIONS ON BUILDING A D.I.Y FILTER !!

I am thinking about setting up a new freshwater tank around 90 gallons for oscars & large bottom-feeders, the problem i have found is the canister filters are about £160-£200 (£-$ = ?), and would only be rated for about that size tank, with such large fish i think the canister would need to be overrated, this seems a rip-off to me, so here is my Q,
would fitting a pond pump (around 1500 gal/hr) to a large plastic container (water-proof, with pipes fitted, with media) work as a canister filter, because this would filter around 10-15 times per hour, ??? TIA

Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

First you may want to post in the DIY forum, to get more responses.

I see no problems with this; it's been done before and i'm sure it could be cheaper and/or (Probably or) more effective then commercially avail options. search diy filter and you should get a number of possible ideas.

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh thanks, I didn't realize there was a D.I.Y forum, i will post there.

Tags
build, building, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com