Order glass sheets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harborlily

Aquarium Advice Regular
Where would I go about ordering glass to make a tank? I'm trying to see if it's more cost effective to make my own tank or to buy one for my oscar. I'm not really seeing any places that offer regular glass in 1/2" thickness, most only offer ceramic or tempered and I read not to use tempered in a tank.

I would say use Google to find a local glass shop and go from there about ordering or just playing dumb asking questions. As far as tempered or not, the only issue is that you can't drill tempered. On the other hand, if you use plate glass, the risk is that it will break into large jagged pieces and trying to pick it up when it does is more risky. I believe the "clear" glass you're looking for prices on is "starfire" which contains either less or no iron. Glass with a high iron content has a green tint. hth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I emailed the local shop for a quote. They deliver to you and don't have a storefront

29 gallon community tank with mollies and corys
10 gallon temporary tank for a sick baby Oscar named Audrey

I'm sorry but I neglected to include earlier, IMO I don't think it's any cheaper to DIY. Buy the glass, the frame, the silicone, and the time involved, I just don't see the math adding up. I'm across L.I. Sound from you and think prices for sheet glass may be pretty close.

Hi! You in ct? I'll hunt around then for a tank in the dimensions I need

Sure am neighbor, lol. Just jump the P.J. Ferry and it'll drop ya about a mile from my place.

What size/dimensions are you looking for ? I always see a bunch on your side that I've often thought about doing a day trip that way on the ferry but with work I just don't have the time.

I have Audrey the Oscar in the 10 gallon qt by my headboard right now and I'm hoping to get a tank that will fit in this spot. She's getting to be a ham and I like seeing her mug each morning.

The space can accommodate 42 long by 20 width.

Oh that's a tight fit. If you could squeeze 6 more inches somewhere you'd be able to do a great setup with a 75. Most would say at least 70 (http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=Oscar) but the closest to your space size would be a 65 which could work out. Marineland makes a 36"x18"x24" (LxWxH) and AGA makes one very similar and call it the same size. I don't understand exactly how that can be though. Here's the link I followed. http://www.aquariumdimensions.com/

New will be somewhat costly so Craigslist may be your best bet.

I just emailed a few on Craigslist. There were some really cheap set ups available. Cross your fingers for me ☺️

That's a really nice setup. Probably looking for close to $1500-2000 with everything listed. I see that a lot with posts advertised with a $1 sticker.

That's pretty sweet !!! Resealing is fairly easy. I've done it on a few tanks and the biggest issue is having enough fresh air so you don't get a little too loopy, lol. If I were you, I'd jump on it before it disappears.

It's mine on Monday! You gotta talk me through resealing. I have a 3 year old. But I can go into the computer room with the ac and the Fan and the window to do it

All you need is a razor blade,
new sealant, rubbing alcohol, and a bit of patience. Couple beers if your old enough to celebrate after ????

It's mine on Monday! You gotta talk me through resealing. I have a 3 year old. But I can go into the computer room with the ac and the Fan and the window to do it

Woohoo !!!! "happy dance". I'll walk you thru every step. It's really, really, easier than you could imagine.

Had to edit as the fingers got in the way, lol.

Even though seller says it leaks, water test it first. You might be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom