Outdoor Kiddie Pool Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I just set up a pool outside for the sole purpose of keeping guppies there. I have never done this before so please tell me the "errors in my ways". So here are the supplies I used

1 Intex 127 gallon kiddie pool

Dechlorinator

Ammonia

Hose Water (is this good? I have heard hoses may have copper but Im not keeping inverts)

Duckweed

Azolla

Plastic sheet for a pool cover?(do i need this?)

Marshmallow Making sticks taped together to hold the plastic sheet up.

Empty soda Box ( to protect electrical appliances.)(also wrapped that in a trash bag)

Surge Protector inside the box (duh)

Established Tank Water (to help cycle)

I squeezed some of that brown fluid from the filter onto the pool

OK that is what I did I will be adding a heater (only when necessary) and an airstone

will be testing water today

Any suggestions?

Waterchange

I am not filtering or pumping atm should I? i am only housing livebearers and MAYBE some shrimp?

Depending on where you live what sre you going to do if it gets cold?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Spare heater

I live in VA but I have a spare heater if it gets cold original ammonia was 4.0 it spiked a bit...

I wanted to do something like that but my problem is the bears and racoons would snack on the fish ,

Since you don't have a filter I'm not sure how cycling with ammonia will help. I'd stop adding ammonia and either do water changes and/or add plants and let them reduce the ammonia already present. Sounds like you will be relying on fast growing surface plants and water changes for maintaining water quality. That should be fine depending on the amount of livestock.
What kind of livebearers are planning on putting in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did this last summer and will again this year but with 40 gallon tubs with White Cloud Minnows. Had a great breeding turnout and really enjoyed it. Skip the cover and electrical appliances and just heavily plant with floaters. I ran mine with nothing but water, plants, and fish. It would be nice to have a cover on hand though but not continuously over the pool. I had a wicked hailstorm last year that tore up everything and killed quite a few of my fish. Hope this helps! (y)

Nitrites and Algae

ERMAGHERD IT HAS BEEN LONG (only a week) nitrites finally are showing up!! ammonia has fallen to .25 ppm- .50 ppm when it was at 4ppm! nitrite is about .25 to .50 ppm haven't checked ammonia yet. would a diy co2 ne good or should i do flourish excel... seems like a good product. There is soooooo much algae on the bottom any thoughts on how to remove it I heard excel is a great killer of all things algae. I was thinking of getting dr tims one and only but i used my old filter cartridge juice instead and it worked! I will be putting more of that filter juice/ muck I'm putting an air pump and heater just in case probably no other electronics. so far so good :) my plants in there are hornwort, riccia, duckweed, naja grass and java moss at night it some times drops to 65- 67ish but thats the coldest it gets in may at night. Question Is the beneficial bacteria or that algae consuming the ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom