Outside Box Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obedey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I´m in the proccess of setting up a 50L tank for some yabbies. Ive made a simple filter that is air driven and sucks water through filter floss. I was looking around the internet and found a website that mentioned outside box filters. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3363/filter.htm

Heres what they have to say:

Outside box filters are a great thing. They have the advantage of the inside filter without some of its disadvantages. They are also very cheap, and can be ran on an air pump. In addition, they do not sit in the tank, but outside on its side, so it does not take space inside and can be bigger for more media. They use the same media as the inside box filters, and are more effective then their inside relatives. So, I think of them as a superior to the inside filters. However, they are not perfect. They can suck in small fry, but they have plastic caps with holes that prevent bigger fish from being pulled in. They work at a pace that is slow, but is faster than the inside box filters and are more suited for heavy duty jobs. Overall, I consider them the best value, but not the best quality.

They sound like a better idea than my current filter but theres not much information on them anywhere. Does anybody know if these even exist and how they operate??

Thx.

I am not so good with conversions, but I think a 50L tank is something like 10-15 gallons big. For $10 (US) or so you can get yourself a nice little powerfilter for a tank this size. This would be my suggestion.

No one that I know of uses an inside box filter, or even an outside box for that matter. That is a geocities page, so it is most likely not the most reliable source of information.

yeah i dont rely want to buy a powerfilter because yabbies dont rely need alott of filtration as they eat rotting vegetable matter but mainly beacause im cheap. Anyway yabbies in farm dams live off cow poo so i dont see me having to filter the water all that much but i would really like to know what a outside box filter is and how it operates.

Basically there is a box outside of your tank with some filter floss in it. Water is somehow pumped through this floss, where large particles are strained out. Nitrifying bacteria also colonize the many surfaces of the floss and will turn ammonia into nitrites, and later nitrites into nitrates.

thx for your help. I think i'll just get a cheap powerhead and try make one of these outside box filters for a backup incase the powerhead breaks or somthing. Not that a night or something without filtration is going to matter much to my yabbies anyway :roll:

don't yabbies get pretty big? is a 12 gallon tank big enough?
Good luck with your project though.

yeah i think they grow to about 15cm long (4-5inches????not sure) but I may be getting a larger tank. Ive got some sheets of glass in the backyard I might build one out of. But the bigger the better because I plan to eat a few of them. I dont no how all you feel about eating pets 8O its not really a tank as such either have a look http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=50575

Back
Top Bottom