Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was'nt saying it was wrong to do, I'm just saying many people may not know the proper temperature or length of time needed... I mean, there are people in the world who still mix bleach and ammonia!

I was just letting people know what has worked for me, and I never had to stick a boulder in my oven...

You obviously know what you are talking about, I was not slighting you or your dads methods...

Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

not a problem, no offense ever taken at all ok.

I do understand what you were saying, I do the 350 just because that temp kills everything and anything in the "wild" decor.

I stopped doing tanks for nearly 10 years while in the service and playing happy bachelor you know, so the info I get here helps bring thngs back and actually this is the only forum where people respect eachother opinions and ideas, I was already ousted from one fish board this week possibly a 2nd after an arguement over whisper filters today, so yeah Id kinda like to take up residency here.

I hate the net due to the fact that you cannot express yourself or use body language to help the statement out.

My feelings rarely get hurt, so its all good.

Now what about mixing baking soda and a certain Toilet cleaner hehehehe.

doesnt bleach and ammonia create a form of mustard gas?

Im no chemist, got kicked out of chemistry for making chemical reactions when I wasnt supposed to.

I will try your method sunday when I get back from my rock hunt. Im open to change and safety with the two toddlers in the house is 100% fine by me. Last thing I need is my kid getting splatted by a rogue rock.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

No sweat... Take a look at this thread... every boulder in this tank was soaked in a five gallon bucket, mixture of bleach and water, rinsed a few times, and final soak was with Prime de-chlorinator... Not one fish has died in this tank...

75 gallon "Garden Variety" mbuna tank.

And thanks for serving your country! I salute you, sir...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got shafted, stuck in kosovo instead of going to the sand box. Id go back in a heartbeat but now with the 3 and 4 year old they would never understand and with their biological father walking out on em at an earlier age I cant do that to them now, they have a thought process and I cant make them understand that.

I dunno, I like shooting things, its in my blood, im 3rd gen us armed forces and my son will be 4th gen us armed forces if he knows what the right thing to do is.

Wont any water conditioner work to de-chlorinate? I usually use sodium theosulfate to counteract the bleach.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, I was just saying I used Prime cause that's what I had on hand...
Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It should be safe but do the vinegar test, also look closely for rusty or metallic lines on the rock this could be metal which is fatal to fish.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vinegar is good
PH Down is better
Muratic acid is best for testing rocks, I keep PH down and my PH up is muratic acid, small tubes for pocket fit. I tried vinegar to no avial the PH Down revealed bubbles, muratic acid gave me a spa of bubbles.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, would your tank water be as acidic as vinegar? As pH down? As Muriatic??? I guess what I am saying is, if it does indeed pass the vinegar test, I would imagine that it would not buffer your water too aggressively if you had a high pH out of the tap...

I myself would not fear a rock that was a bubbler when acid was applied, but that's because I am currently keeping rift lake cichlids. If I wanted it in an Amazon tank, I would not go there... But then, I would not be using any rock at all in a tank like that. I guess it's all in what you are after for your particular set up...

I did have a couple of limestone boulders in a tank that had Angelfish, and they never seemed to be stressed!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I soaked a piece of prairie stone aka limestone in a gallon of vinegar didnt get one single bubble off it, even after breaking it to expose virgin minerals.

Distilled white vinegar is the right stuff,right?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
I soaked a piece of prairie stone aka limestone in a gallon of vinegar didnt get one single bubble off it, even after breaking it to expose virgin minerals.

Distilled white vinegar is the right stuff,right?
Yeah...

Tags
rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com