Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #1

Hey I just got a ten gallon tank with one albino rainbow shark, a rainbow shark, and a bleeding heart tetra. I know I'm in over my head and am getting rid of the albino rainbow. I am confused on how big the rainbow will get. The pet store I bought it from said 3 to 4 inches, but I looked online and it said 5 and up! I no that rainbows are territorial and sometimes aggressive. If possible I want to keep the same tank. But I can buy a bigger one if necessary. Please help! I'm freaking out! I really want to keep the rainbow if possible, but I don't want to kill my other fish!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Rainbow sharks will get in the 3"-5" range and, unfortunately, that's really too big for a 10g. If you upgraded to a 20L or a 40B, you'd have plenty of room for your shark and a bunch of other fish.

Tell us more about your tank:

- How long has it been set up?
- Did you cycle it?
- What kind of equipment are you running?
- What would you like to do with the tank?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Shouldn't this be moved? This is not a DIY project at all.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

I'm sorry my thread is in the wrong place, and I didn't know to cycle the tank until after I had gotten the fish. I usually do more research before I buy a pet, but the whole situation was kind of complicated. The tank has been set up for two days now, and it has a filter, heater, a few decorations, and gravel. The guy at the pet store handed me some stress coat and i believe some water conditioner. I know now that my fish probably won't make it through cycling, But there is a fourteen day warranty on them. Thank you for telling me what size tank I need!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't lose hope! Your fish can make it through the cycle. You just have to keep on top of your water chemistry. Unfortunately, that means lots and lots of water changes. The 10g can be a temporary home for your rainbow shark, but just keep in mind that you'll have to either upgrade tanks or rehome the fish eventually.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

Thanks! And I read that rainbow sharks don't do to well with other fish that are smaller then them... So even if both of them make it through cycling, will the tetra be safe with the rainbow shark in the long run?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your shark may be territorial, but I doubt it's going to actively hunt down any fish in the tank. My pictus cat is similar. He chases anything away from his cave, but he doesn't pursue more than a six or eight inches. The pictus is also a lot bigger (8") than your shark will ever get.

Get a liquid reagent test kit and keep an eye on your ammonia levels. I'm partial to the API Freshwater Master kit. Do a 50% PWC any time you see more than 0.25ppm of ammonia. Eventually the tank will process ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. Read up on the nitrogen cycle for more information.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #8

Thanks I'll definitely watch the water! And should I get the tetra some schooling buddies? Cause I know they are schooling fish.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't get any more fish until your tank has fully cycled. After that, yes, I'd recommend some more tetras. Maybe four total, since bleeding hearts are bigger tetras.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Thanks. And I can get more then 1 type of tetra and they should both school shouldn't they? Just as long as they're not smaller then the rainbow...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com