Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Over the edge or drill?

Advice needed please!

Should I use a hang on over the edge overflow or should I drill the tank?

What are the pros and cons please? My Juwel is not going to be easy to drill.

Thanks heaps!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get it drilled. It will be one of the best decisions of your life.

HOB overflow does not offer peace of mind because you have to worry about other components and possibility of flooding.

Search "flooding HOB overflow" and read the stories.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you're even debating..... drill it.

I've mentioned this in other threads. If you are drilled with an overflow, the only water coming out of the tank is what's being pumped in. If you have a power outage, no big deal.... no water in/no water out, it's a balance. With a HOB overflow, that requires a siphon. When (notice I didn't say IF) you have a power outage, the siphon will continue to run water into the sump until it gets low enough to break that siphon, so enough room has to be left in the sump to account for this..... now the real problem is when the power comes back on and the pump begins to return water from the sump back to the tank, but there is no longer a return siphon....... Flooded tank & floor.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You first need to be sure that the panel you're considering drilling is not tempered. If it is, HOB is the only option. If it's not, I'd definitely recommend drilling. I've drilled 2 tanks and it's super super super easy.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #5

Thanks to all for the really quick responses. Juwel doesn't temper their glass do I will drill it. I'll use a 1.25" for the drain, and a .75" for the return.

Fingers crossed!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Sounds like a plan. I have a 1.5" overflow box from glass-holes.com and love it. Not sure if they ship to new zealand or not, but might be worth checking in to (unless there's maybe something equivalent over there?).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Sounds like a plan. I have a 1.5" overflow box from glass-holes.com and love it. Not sure if they ship to new zealand or not, but might be worth checking in to (unless there's maybe something equivalent over there?).
I'm trying to buy 2 of the 1500 kit. They look really neat.
Did you also get the complete return kit or did you make your own?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I did my own return, just used a threaded street elbow and a standard thread x slip elbow to make the 'over the tank lip' part, then put a thread x thread x slip tee and screwed on two sections of 1/2" loc line. If I had it to do over again, I'd drill the return.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Many tanks today use tempered glass for the bottom. If yours has tempered glass you cannot drill it. However the sides are usually regular glass and you CAN drill through the sides or back, most people preferring the back for aesthetic reasons.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

I hadn't considered going through the back but those overflows look great. Juwels aren't tempered anywhere but going through the back means not having to drill my stand too which is a big plus.

I will just build my return myself as it seems really easy. A quick question please - do the overflows come with instructions as to what level to install them?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com