Overflow Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
When DIYing an overflow, does it matter how big the box is? or just the pipe that goes into the sump? Im doing two overflows, one for a 55 and another for a 25. for the 25 i wanted to to have a 4x4x4 inch boxes and for the 55 8x4x4 inch. will these be large enough if i drilled the appropriate size holes for the water flow? thanks.

I think that as long as you can fit the necessary pipe size to handle your overflow, the box doesn't really matter...yuo can just make it to the dimensions you need. I think a 1" PVC pipe will allow approx. 600gph, but don't quote me on that. ;) But anyways, I don't think the box size matters...all I know is that I read the longer the box on the interior, there is more true surface water drawn in, and less subsurface (though only by a cm or so) water. The more surface water, the more DOC is skimmed from the surface by the overflow box. I'm cheap, so I just made the neat little overflow that BillyZ designed. Cost me $25 to build 2 of them at 1½" pipe. =] Hope this helps you out!

Back
Top Bottom