Overflow cup modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an eshopps overflow cup that I've used on my SW tank for a while. Over this time I've performed several modifications to it, and sort of broke it. It's been doing its job for a while but recently it hasn't been working very well. Here are a few pictures:

overflow01.jpg

overflow02.jpg

overflow03.jpg

Basically, I had a fish a while back that hid behind the overflow cup and wouldn't come out, even to eat. I glued some eggcrate to the back and that solved the problem until one day I tried to put it back on, and bent it a bit too much until the acrylic broke. That's why it's taped together.

Here's the problem: that joint needs to be rigid. Usually, (whenever the pump is running) the level in the overflow is lower than the rest of the tank, causing upward force, and that makes it swing out (like in that picture). I put some metal "U" things to try and hold it in place, and it worked for a while, but it's not doing the job anymore and I'm not sure why.

Anyways, I'm looking for some kind of device to hold that part of the overflow in place. I can't just lock permanently it in that position because I want to be able to get the overflow on and off. It would be better if it wasn't metal like the thing I have now. I'm not really sure what the right approach to take here is. Any suggestions?

Why do you want to take the overflow on and off? mine has a channel that the overflow fits into from the back part and has a threaded nylon bolt that keeps it in place.

i made my own overflow with 2 smallest plastic aquarium...with the same probs with u, im using some plastic, and make it cross the overflow...that plastic will hold my overflow from swing when its touch my lid...i dunno u understand or not what im saying....if no, i will post some pic for u....

What type of plastic are you using, and how did you make it? That's sort of what I'm asking since I tried using some metal brackets and they aren't working anymore.

I don't need to take it on and off a lot, but it does happen every once in a while. When I originally added the eggcrate behind, I broke the top of the overflow because it wouldn't fit over the top of the tank. Whatever I put there to keep the overflow cup from swinging up can be semi-permanent, but I need to be able to remove it in case I have to make adjustments to the plumbing. Does that make sense?

do you still have the overhang from the outside box? are there any extra flanges on the side where you might drill a hole through the inside, and maybe slot the outside then use a nylon bolt to attach them?

both the pieces inside the tank, but one comes from the outside that the outside part hangs on. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you cutoff that piece to which the strainer normally attaches.

I do still have that overhang (that's what the tape in the pictures is holding on to). So what you're suggesting is that I attach something along the side to sort of "cut the corner" and keep the overhang in place while it's attached?

the overhang attaches to the skimmer cup. if you dont have room for a bolt, you could wrap a big zip tie around it.

DUH. I don't know why but reading this made me think of a much simpler fix -- the skimmer cup detaches, so I can put that on after the rest of the thing is already hanging on the back of the tank.

It looks like I can get away with keeping that joint (the one that's taped) rigid. I've implemented something and I'll add pictures if it works.

Back
Top Bottom