Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its an aqualifter pump. I have it on my overflow

Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Sweet thanks! I have the overflow tubes hooked up to my powerhead but it doesn't seem to have much pull.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I used my dremel with a drill bit to cut the grooves another 1/2" deeper today. I should get another 1.2gal in the sump if power were to fail. I also cut the refugium wall down about 1" as well. Cutting that gives me another 0.21gal space in the sump. Testing a power outage, the water is pretty close to the rim but everything seems good. I may trim it down another 1" though to make up for the added depth on the overflow teeth. I have to think on it. It's not pretty now but it's doing the job. I can tell that the new pump will make a flow difference for sure. It's too bad that it won't be here until the 20th.

I have had this going for a few hours now and having the deeper teeth makes 110% difference on the noise. The overflow is dead silent. You can hear the lower spray bar a bit from behind the stand so if I make a quick back for the stand I think it will reduce that as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad that you were able to reduce the noise on the overflow. Could you glue something to the inside of the stand walls to dampen and soak up the noise further? I'm thinking like eggcrate sponge? Used it in the past in the garage for band practice. Seemed to make a difference back in the day. I'll be doing the same once my stand comes a bit more along.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Possibly, I'm not complaining... it's almost silent right now which is amazing. I think if I just did some super thin board across the back like the MDF entertainment stuff at target etc has it maybe be 100%. You definitely can't hear it through the stand. In fact, the thing making the most noise is the 550 powerhead I have near the surface and the air pump below! I'm wondering if newer air pumps are quieter than this old school one I have.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whoa. Glad to hear things are so quiet. Let me know how things turn out with the new pump.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pumps, which are new, are pretty quiet. They can get noisy if they're vibrating against acrylic but for the most part it's just a solid light hum.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

ok I'm lost now. I have the new pump in the sump and it's of course crazy powerful. I've dialed the ball valve almost all the way down to prevent the sump being drained.

It appears that the flow still can't keep up. The problem appears to be bubbles in the overflow I think. Where are they coming from?!?!?!? They seem to be breaking 1 of the 2 siphons The drain can't keep up at all. I'm not sure why the bubbles are appearing at the bottom of the overflow. Is this normal??? No right? Is the water falling too low and causing bubbles in the "box" or is air being pulled from the primer pipe or something? Here is a video:

mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try this setup without the spraybars to test it,the flow in the overflow should move any air bubbles all the way round to the sump + your return section is very small.turn everthing off and fill the dt tank until the sump water level is at the highest point you want it to go in a power cut,again do this without the spraybars.remember spraybars are normally pumped not gravity fed.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

ok I took off the spray bar end and after some additional tweaking I have the return all the way open and the intake seems to be matching. So my plan now is to just drill hug holes in the spray bar and try again or to hack the pipe in 1/2 and have is pour all over the filter pads. Thanks!

NOW... this thing is LOUD. It sounds like I'm at Niagara Falls with 400 toilets flushing. What can I do lol.

Tags
flow, overflow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com