Packaging Styrofoam Acceptable for 3D Background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently making plans for a 3D Background for my 200G Mangrove Swamp tank. I went to price out sheets of styrofoam yesterday and found that pretty much the best price I could get was $5.49USD/each for 1"x12"x36" styrofoam sheets and double that for 2"x12"x36".

I looked at Ebay and found I could get similar or larger sheets of styrofoam at a very low cost, but it's packing foam not art/craft foam. In my experiences I've noticed that typical packaging foam is made up of a bunch of ball bearing sized balls of foam that are compressed together.

Does anyone know if this would be acceptable for sculpting a 3D background? Anyone know of a good styrofoam source?

I'm not sure if it's toxic or not, but you can also get giant sheets of insulating foam for fairly cheap at Lowe's/Home Depot.

I used "florists" foam and acrylic paint... could anyone tell me if this will kill the fish? here is a pic of the whole project (Incomplete)

That is cool though!!! I just bought that scenery paper to put on the back of my tank. I like it but your idea is way better!

Tetrin, who had a concrete and foam background logged on AA, had found references that the styrofoam must be extruded and not expanded for submerged use. I used the insulating styrofoam from HD and it worked great.

Besies sulla's tank and such on AA, the cichlid-forum aquascaping library and forums have a ton of useful info on backgrounds. Besides sources of stryrofoam used in some very large tanks, they may have discussed the paint issue: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php

I looked on the web and found this:
"Well, didn't really dawn on me till I
was almost finished that I probably shouldn't put that
in my tank since I painted it with Acrylic paint. What
should I do? Can I coat it with something that will
make it safe for my tank?
<Acrylic once cured (dried, in a day or so) should be fine ... Bob Fenner>
I believe Bob Fenner is an expert so I would go with what he said. Personally, I dye-stain all my rocks. See www.grottosandfins.com Good luck

I ended up going to Home Depot and got Polysytrene Sheets, 1.5"x24"x48", for $4.19 each. I bought 4 of them to start. I also happened to find these huge sheets of styrofoam out on the street that must have fallen off a truck. They barely fit in the company minivan I was driving. Even will all the foam I have, I'll probably need more.

This background wont be all that cheap though. I've spent $30USD on Foam, Silicone, and Spray adhesive alone. I'm guessing it will be about 100-150 to complete it. I guess that's decent for a 200 Gallon.

Back
Top Bottom