Painted backdrop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive got an established 5g fluval spec shrimp colony. Any good tips on which products and how to's on painting the background either midnight blue or black?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just used a small foam roller and acrylic paint from wal mart. less than 7 bucks to do a 55 gallon. needed 3 coats.

Sounds like a simple plan. I like that:) Im just a little nervy about painting up to the brim. I'll just taker slow and eliminate splatter chances.
Gliddon or Sherwin Williams acrylic?

Sounds like a simple plan. I like that:) Im just a little nervy about painting up to the brim. I'll just taker slow and eliminate splatter chances.
Gliddon or Sherwin Williams acrylic?

I think it was gliddon but all I remember is it was premixed and under $4.
If you don't like it, it will come off with a razor blade. I went with a light blue and like it but it may be too light for some others.
img_3144267_0_3fb11fd2449f2abc5c2cf590302d6595.jpg

I paint all of my tanks, I use the acrylic paint in the craft section of walmart. I think its like .50 a bottle or something like that. It's called apple barrel, they have a whole bunch of colors to choose from. I use a sponge brush to apply the first couple of coats and an actual brush for the rest. I then use a flash light to shine from once side and look on the other if there is any light coming through I do another coat. It looks flawless! Best of luck! I use primarly black or english navy, but I have used a lighter blue on a 10 gal and it was super bright so I don't know if I would use that color for a larger tank but that's just me.

Just a FYI since you mentioned tank is up and running. I usually paint all mine with black acrylic when I buy them. Recently I painted a established 55. Taped top off well to prevent any splatter from entering tank. Anyway in the next 3 days I lost 6 fish that were perfectly fine. I'm not sure if something seeped through glass or if maybe fumes went into my air raiders and it pumped the tank with toxic fumes. My point is just be cautious about painting a established tank. Could've been coincidence but I can't be sure.

It certainly didn't leech through the glass. Glass isn't permeable to chemicals in paint. Most acrylic paints are non toxic

I painted the back of my established tank no problem. Do it when you do a water change, tank will be easy to maneuver. Use tape to mask off areas you don't want to paint. Take your time and paint a few coats. Celebrate with your favorite cold beverage!

It's super easy and will make your tank look fantastic. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm with every one else, walmart acrylic paint, 50 cent a bottle on the craft isle. A 55 gallon takes 4 bottles. I used a little roller brush.

May the force be with you.

I'm with every one else, walmart acrylic paint, 50 cent a bottle on the craft isle. A 55 gallon takes 4 bottles. I used a little roller brush.

May the force be with you.

Roller brush as in hotdog roller? I have those.
How long does each coat take to dry?
If need by, I can hang my filter off the front of the tank while the paint is drying.

The can said 6 hours between coats

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do like the idea of turning the air pump off during the painting process. Maybe the fumes will get pumped into the water FJ. Maybe not, but i'll error on the side of caution there.
Looks like a good weekend to paint for me, so I'll post a pic when its done.
Go Seahawks! L.O.B!

I do like the idea of turning the air pump off during the painting process. Maybe the fumes will get pumped into the water FJ. Maybe not, but i'll error on the side of caution there.
Looks like a good weekend to paint for me, so I'll post a pic when its done.
Go Seahawks! L.O.B!

What ever funds are by the air pump will be pumped into the tank.

What ever funds are by the air pump will be pumped into the tank.

Good point. I may wait until the weather gets nicer so I can open the windows for proper ventilation.

Good point. I may wait until the weather gets nicer so I can open the windows for proper ventilation.

Stupid auto correct *fumes*
I would not use spray paint indoors. I used a roller with acrylic latex and it wasn't too bad.

oh and forget about 6 hours in between coats, just grab a hair dryer and hit it with it. It won't work well for tanks with fish in them, but I always either take the fish out or do it before I set my tanks up

After getting the paint and supplies, I've decided not to paint the tank.
However, I do have a 29gal that will get painted soon. I also set up 2 tanks at my Ma's house that will also get painted:)

Attachments

• 1423205379773.jpg
    1423205379773.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 76
I used an acrylic craft paint from Hobby Lobby made for painting glass with 4-inch roller. I made 2 really heavy coats on my 90-legacy tank and used 3 bottles. The glass will hold the paint but if you need to remove it you can use a razor blade. I did that to clear a part of the glass where my overflow is. Came off easy.

I wish I had Bob Ross painting skills. Has anyone seen or done a landscape background painting. Something other than a solid color?

Back
Top Bottom