Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Painting back of tank?

Hey all:

I have a question on painting the back oft tank. Ive used the stick on kind but it never stays. I have seen on you tube people painting outside the back glass. (whatever color: blue, black etc..) has anybody done this and if so how did it come out and what paint to use. Thanks

Luis1662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would also like to know the answer to this question.

missie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sure ..i have painted all my tanks (except my newest one)..Just use spray paint of your choice of color .
Currently rebuilding
QTing is a good thing
Grow your filtration
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I painted both my tanks. I used an oil based rust oleum roll on.
iadubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I painted the back of my latest one. Very quick and easy to do with stunning results. Next time I tear down any other of my tanks I'm going to paint them too. I used some spray paint. Taped off the edges, covered the sides and openings and sprayed away. Make sure there are no water marks on the part where you are spraying because they will be permanently locked between the glass and paint.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try painting it this weekend.
Luis1662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks to the great results & great advice from Mumma (taping off everything & covering the rest tank in garbage bags to prevent overspray), I just sprayed painted the back of one of my tanks, too! Just make sure everything is super clean & dry. I used a can of Rustoleum black paint-it took a few coats to completely cover & blacken it, but it turned out great! Def will do this again but I would probably choose a different type of spray paint than the Rustoleum-something with greater glass adhesion so I wont need as many coats.
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know that most acrylic paints will stick to glass pretty well... as long as its not subject to extreme heats. That may offer the ability to paint designs. This actually put a good idea into my mind to do this exact thing. Might look kind of cartoonish and comic bookish, but it would give it some personal personality.
doberman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I used regular latex on mine its turned out great just make sure if yur rims black and u choose to go blue background like I did turn the tank upside down to fill it in or you will have a blue background with the black rim showing at the top kinda tacky
bskerrichard27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award
We have the back of our 40g painted black. My hubby used the cheap spray paint from Walmart (not sure if that was good or not, but it hasn't scratched off) I have heard people use Krylon brand with good results.

Jamie.... "The fingers of natural selection are hovering over the delete button."
AA community rules: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com