Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Painting plastic trim on tank?

I have a pale oaky color on a tank trim, it is a Jebo New R375, (35+G) and I really like the tank otherwise, good shape and has a matching stand, which is a maple color, maybe will be the next project.

I hate to mess up the tank with a crappy cheeseball job on this so anyone have good details about painting the trim? I read lots of reviews about Krylon Fusion paint in a spray can. I am pretty good with spray paint.

Was wondering about any one's actual experience and lessons learned and advice to be offered.

It seems this trim is a bit shinier, I would say glossy, and smoother than the average tank trim of a standard rectangle tank. So I would imagine some fine sanding would be advised, and a clean base to work from. So suggestions for grit Numbers and cleaning substances?

Also I was wondering if I should try to find a free 10G oak trim tank first to get the hang of it, lol?

Here are a couple basic pics

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to n7plus1
Krylon Fusion was made to be used on a non-prepped surface, meaning no sanding required. It was originally formulated for use on plastics but now can be use on almost anything. If youre already comfortable with spray paint I would just recommend cleaning all of the surfaces you plan to paint with a microfiber rag and some rubbing alcohol. Tape off edges that you dont want painted and mask others. Protect other parts of the area from overspray and use in a well ventilated area.
n7plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

paint, plastic, rim, tan, tank, trim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com