Painting tank background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to paint the back of my 4' tank flat black. I don't like the glare from the poster sheet background that I'm currently using. I was thinking of using a self-priming latex exterior paint such as the Behr Ultra. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I previously have used latex on my backgrounds but just today i tried spray paint. :) was much easier, the coverage was really good and there was no dripping. You might wanna try that. :) I know I will be painting with spray paint in the future, can't believe how much easier it is. lol

Hmm. This a full 55 gallon on the second floor. I'm reluctant to use rattle cans indoors after my lacquer incident.

Painting the background of a tank is the BEST background (maybe besides 3D backgrounds). It's certainly the easiest, cheapest.

Spray paint is the way to go. I've painted both my tanks, my FW community is black and my SW FOWLR is blue. I used Rustoleum Gloss on my FW and Krylon Gloss on my SW.

Comparing the 2 experiences, it was much easier and I had a better outcome when using the Rustoleum.

Hmm. This a full 55 gallon on the second floor. I'm reluctant to use rattle cans indoors after my lacquer incident.

Just saw your comment, I live on the 4th floor but I have a balcony. If you have to brush, get the Rustoleum cans and just follow the directions. But if you can figure a way to spray paint def go for that.

You guys think gloss paint is the way to go? I was thinking flat to avoid a glare.

You guys think gloss paint is the way to go? I was thinking flat to avoid a glare.
Hi it will not make any difference as its the glass you see not the finish of the paint. I personally always use a matt :)
I give the external of the tank a couple of coats of black matt {Blackboard paint} then cover this with insulation.

I am a little more accident prone. I would end up with paint splashing in the tank and killing everything.....Thats just me!

spoonman said:
I am a little more accident prone. I would end up with paint splashing in the tank and killing everything.....Thats just me!

That's what glass lids and tape are for :) I also didn't rest any paint ontop of the tank. Just in case ;)

If I'm going to roll the paint on I'm not really worried about getting any in the tank. Aerosol's a different story.

I would say you paint it the same way as glass. Just you better be happy with the the color you choose , because to remove the paint from acrylic you would totally ruin the acrylic tank by
scratching it with a razor to remove the paint. Then you would have to resurface the tank again.

I just painted the back of my 55. I couldn't spray paint cause the tank is already setup and is indoors (obviously). I went to walmart and got Krylon Acrylic Latex "Gloss Black" and applied it with a foam roller. Came out perfect. The paint I used previously was rolled on as well, but it wasnt a deep black, more of a grey. Since it was latex based I was able to peel it off in one big sheet, so you are able to change it if you want. Make sure to clean the back, I used vinegar and it worked very well.

Back
Top Bottom