Painting the tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannyfern09

Aquarium Advice Regular
What type of spray paint do you use to paint the back of your glass tanks? and specific color that looks nice!?

I used Lowes brand Velspar enamel in flat black. It turned out really nice and I'm happy with it. Took about 1 1/2 cans to get it good and covered (55gal). I used the flashlight method to make sure there wasn't any light coming through. Once I couldn't see the light through the paint, I was done. HTH.

lol thank you for that i had no ideaa that people do that! i will be off to buy some spray paint now then.. and will do the same thank you

You're welcome. People choose different colors for their own personal taste. I chose black because I have a black stand/canopy and white..ish substrate and I think it looks pretty sharp.
Edited to add...I did this in coats about 15-20 minutes apart from each other. Also, my first coat was a really fine mist of spray paint, in hopes the second coat would have something to cling to since the paint doesn't soak in to glass like it does wood. I hope that made sense...LOL

i bought oil based flat paint... any tips before i start painting the tank?!

THANK YOU

Flat paint will adhere much better and you view it threw the glass which makes it look like gloss anyhow.

I was thinking of painting a thin sheet of particle board and adhering it to the back of the tank, since my tank is already in place and I cant take it out to spray. I guess Ill see how it is without gloss first.

I've heard of people using a roller for this reason. You could probably google it and come up with some specifics.

Back
Top Bottom