Paludarium - Maybe an Exo-Terra: Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Although I have seen these, I have never owned one.

~~~~~~~~
The biggest idea with this is the keeping of some sort of fish and adding a tall front sheet of glass with sealer to make the lower portion deeper and better able to accomodate fish keeping.

Considering it to be about 4-6 inches taller than the glass at the bottom, below the opening doors.

This would add a few more gallons of water going from either 16G to around ~28G

If not an Exo-Terra, I have a 46G Bowfront which might end up being the Paludarium.

I like the idea of the Exo-Terra front doors opening for access
Here is a link to the type of tank I am looking at below.

Probably because of getting a used one it could be almost any of the taller 36" larger sizes, though less Gallons if it ends up with a cheap deal of a 24" tall (11G as is or with a siliconed piece of glass, 16 G...)
http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2609_Natural_Terrarium.jpg

So the primary question is does anyone think it is worth the trouble and aesthetic possible issues, to add the extra pane of glass??? Maybe not necessary if I can get a deal on the 36"x18x36".

~~~~~~~~~
This is a project in the simple planning stages. There seems to be quite a bit of planning to be done though.
~~~~~~~~~
Second idea is the possible idea of using a suspended covered egg crate and using just a couple triangle shaped rear side pockets for soil/plants.

Here is where I am like a kindergartener. Realized you couldn't really see the pencil drawing, so hit the other copy with some lines. Sorry for the crude drawings, lol!
60074-albums13946-picture71228.jpg

Filter and plumbing would come through the center square. Grating would come almost to the 50% back to center point and the area at the triangular back corners would be built up soil pockets and bark and wood with plants and moss.

The center area in front and beside of the filter pump /waterfall would have some soil pockets and roots could in theory grow through the mesh into the water eventually.
60074-albums13946-picture71229.jpg

So the center rear ~1/3 would also house a overflow for water transfer and for the pump for the center waterfall, with solid braces to hold up the egg crate at the triangle "planter" corners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you could understand any of that...Any thoughts? ;)

One other thing I just noticed is a 40G breeder tank is the same dimensions as an Exo-Terra 36"x18" and maybe something could be piggy back somehow and not look trashy, maybe trimmed in bark.

Back
Top Bottom