Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Partial DIY Python

So far I have a working Python, it just doesn't work exactly as I want it to. I bought the faucet attachment (Aqueon brand), then bought 40' of 3/4" OD (5/8" ID) tube. The biggest gravel vac I could find was for a 1/2" ID (5/8" OD) tube. So far the best way I could fine to connect the two ends was with two fittings. The 1/2" ID is a barb to a 3/4" thread (like a male garden hose) and the only 5/8" ID fitting I could find is a 5/8" barb with a right angle and a male 3/4" thread. To connect the two I used a 3/4" female - 3/4" female connector. So far that works, but I cannot kink or pinch the end of the hose while the faucet is still running because the pressure will break the connection at the barbs.

There are two solutions I was wondering if anyone had ideas about.

Solution 1: make a larger hole in the gravel vac top for a 3/4" OD tube to fit on to. Perhaps aquarium sealant to glue the connector on and the tube can connect via barb.

Solution 2: if anyone knows a a compression connector to go tom 1/2" ID to 5/8" ID. This solution would allow me to place a shut-off valve in the connectors, which without having the tubes screwed into place will force the tube to come apart and send water everywhere (as mentioned above).

Thanks in advance!
GEOlson is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com