partly submerged trickle filter medium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sellis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am building a sub with a trickle filter. I have a hight limitation for the hole unit and would like to get as much water in system as possible.

My options are:

1) Use less bio media. Shorter trickle filter to stay above water.
2) Allow bottom few inches of bio media to be submerged.
3) Use less water in sub.

I am thinking that the bio media below water will still do some good. Also I believe the more water the better. I am think that option 2 is the best.

any suggestions/comments

Well first off I would agree with steve if this was for a saltwater tank espescially if it was for a reef. But we really don't know yet. So what kind of a tank is this for? If nitrates aren't going to be an issue for you then submerging bio media isn't all bad as long as the flow rate is decent enough to continually move water over it.

OK. This is a freshwater gold fish tank. Lots of crap to convert to nitrate. I can deal with the nitrate with weekly 50% water changes. Water flow will not be a problem.

I am thinking that Little difference in bacteria efficiency will occur because the water below the filter should be high in oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom