Passive Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been thinking lately about how to use my existing water flow to aid in filtering my 180's water. Until 20 minutes ago my efforts had only been slightly sucessful. Now this isnt a breakthrough in marine science or anything, but I think its gonna work pretty good.

Everyone uses baffles in sumps to break up microbubbles. Force the water to go down, up, down again, bubbles end up at the surface. Well I was working on my baffles with some new plexiglass and I happened to look over and see a filter for my old 30-60 power filter. You know the kind that has a plastic backing, fiber on the other side and charcoal in between. A lightbulb went off in my head. I cut a new piece of plexiglass that left no room for water to flow past. Then I cut a hole in the plexiglass that was just big enough to allow the filter pad to sit in it. Now the existing water flow forces water through the filter, and I have one less machine to eat up my money!

Now back to my project on turning a 40 watt bulb into a MH.

Don't see why not, just need to make sure it's allowing enough flow to not prevent good water movement.

Back
Top Bottom