Patch tank with Plexiglass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadHacktress

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30-ish gallon tank with a pretty significant crack running completely across the bottom-centre of the tank. I was thinking that I could patch it with plexiglass (3/8" at least) and just lay the patch over top of the existing pane of glass.

I don't know, however, if this is even a little bit clever. :)

I have only ever undertaken repairing minor seam leaks and "near the surface" cracks before. Never anything that would be bearing the full weight of the 300+ pounds of water in the tank.

Any advice and/or insight would be great. There are lots of resources that outline the process - I think I have that down - but there's no one who says, "hey, don't do this..." that is specific to my situation.

Thanks to anyone with insight or advice. :)

I'm not sure on how well it would work, but it would probably be cheaper in the long run to buy a new tank... especially if it fails after being set up and you get 30 some odd gallons of fishwater spilling all over your floor :)

Personally, I would be very nervous about it and would take that pane out and replace it, or as tbone suggested, just replace the tank all together.

JMO

Plexi will not wrok for what you want as the silicone won't stick to it well enough. You could possibly add a piece of galss inside or outside, but if you were going to that trouble it would be easier to replace the whole bottom. As already stated, you could probably more easily pick up a used tank for less, and use the glass from the damaged tank for other projects or use it for reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom