Peninsula Stand Build - 75 to 110gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had good luck with clarifying liquids (Seachem Clarity, for example) to get that fine particulate out of the water when using planted tank substrates. I -really- like the "active" substrates that supposedly have some cation exchange capacity in them. I've done a dirt tank with sand cap, Fluval plant/shrimp pellets, and then the crushed volcanic stuff like Ecocomplete and Flourish. Far prefer the flourish, plus or minus some plain old aquarium sand, to do my scaping. That being said, I'm sure you'll do fine with the blasting sand.

One bit of advice: be prepped to do fertilizer tablets of some kind so that the roots can get fed directly, especially for plants such as swords and crypts. Lots of ways to do that, from the expensive Flourish ones to home-made from gelcaps and organic fertilizer pellets. It really does make a difference for the plants.

Great work so far on the builds. I'm dying to get more concrete experiences shared from people doing freshwater sumps. I'm growing tired of cleaning out canister and HOB filters, looking for a better/easier way...

Great work so far on the builds. I'm dying to get more concrete experiences shared from people doing freshwater sumps. I'm growing tired of cleaning out canister and HOB filters, looking for a better/easier way...

You might want to look at Ben Ochart's videos on YouTube: I know he uses sumps in his African cichlid tanks.

I've had good luck with clarifying liquids (Seachem Clarity, for example) to get that fine particulate out of the water when using planted tank substrates. I -really- like the "active" substrates that supposedly have some cation exchange capacity in them. I've done a dirt tank with sand cap, Fluval plant/shrimp pellets, and then the crushed volcanic stuff like Ecocomplete and Flourish. Far prefer the flourish, plus or minus some plain old aquarium sand, to do my scaping. That being said, I'm sure you'll do fine with the blasting sand.

One bit of advice: be prepped to do fertilizer tablets of some kind so that the roots can get fed directly, especially for plants such as swords and crypts. Lots of ways to do that, from the expensive Flourish ones to home-made from gelcaps and organic fertilizer pellets. It really does make a difference for the plants.

We’ve had quite a bit of a delay on this build due to procrastination! Lol

After suggesting to put the whole project on CraigList, he suddenly had the energy and motivation to get the new substrate in and the plants and fishes transferred last night.

Just a recap; we replaced the original Carib substrate with 100lbs of Black blasting media. It took us about 2 hrs to capture, drain, scoop and scrub. We then removed all the plants out of the 29gal and proceeded to trim and replant into the tank.

To keep things short...the water was amazingly clear within 2 hrs. The last 3 images are shots from the top of the tank 10 hrs later...enjoyIMG_9750.jpgIMG_9751.jpgIMG_9753.jpgIMG_9754.jpg

I recently bought blasting sand for a planted tank, but it looks a bit finer than what's in your picture. I hope it's not too fine.

I recently bought blasting sand for a planted tank, but it looks a bit finer than what's in your picture. I hope it's not too fine.

I believe they offer (6)grit options for the blasting media. I wanted something a bit grittier than coarse sand and picked up the 20/40 size.

I believe they offer (6)grit options for the blasting media. I wanted something a bit grittier than coarse sand and picked up the 20/40 size.
I hope mine isn't so fine that the syphon picks it up too easily. I haven't added it yet, so I'll wash some, put it in a bowl, then test it out.

I hope mine isn't so fine that the syphon picks it up too easily. I haven't added it yet, so I'll wash some, put it in a bowl, then test it out.

Great idea to test it out!

At $8 for 50lbs, you can see if the would exchange or use a sponge barrier on you intake siphon.

Keep us updated!

Great idea to test it out!

At $8 for 50lbs, you can see if the would exchange or use a sponge barrier on you intake siphon.

Keep us updated!
tested it out last night. I ended up with some sand In the bucket, but I was able to keep it in the bucket by etting it settle to ine side then pouring the last bit out slowly.

I'll probably leave it in the bottom of the bucket each time I syphon untill a bit is built up, then slosh some tank water around in the bottom of the bucket then dump it in.

Filtration update on the 75g.

My Son and I plumbed, assembled, tested and installed our 20g sump last night. IMG_0630.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0631.jpgIMG_0634.jpg

Back
Top Bottom