Peninsula Stand Build - 75 to 110gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIY_Dad

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Son and I are new fairly new to this group...and a lot has happened since we joined.

In the last 3 months we started up a 29g planted community, a 20g planted community and within the week, my Son will be inheriting a 75g setup minus the stand. (Our immediate plan is to convert the 29g into a sump and transfer plants et al to the 75g.)

Since I don’t have the funds for a store bought stand that I feel can comfortably hold 1000 lbs...and the fact that I’m a glutton for punishment! ? we decided a peninsula style stand was in our future!

Construction Supply List;
(9) 2”x4” - 8’ prime stud ($3.11) $27.99
(1) 2”x2” - 8’ pine strip $2.25
(1) construction adh $4.99
(1) plastic wood filler $5.28
(1) 5lbs 3” Ext screws $28.98
(4) 3/4” pvc trim ($3.38) $13.52
(1) 4’x8’ - 3/16” bead board $19.77
(1) Qrt Enamel paint - Satin Blk $8.46
(1) foam & nap roller $6.97

Tank Supply List;
(4) 1” bulkhead fittings $10.99
(1) 3/4” check valve $7.99
(1) 10pc diamond bit saw $8.99
(DIY- tray drip sump to follow)

Apologies if I’m being verbose at this point! Lol
My son and I hand selected each stud for straightness. This will make construction and leveling the build much easier. The design I chose to build will accommodate a 75g, 90g or 110 x-high. I also decided to pre paint prior to final assembly.
IMG_9061.jpgIMG_9060.jpgIMG_9011.jpgIMG_9012.jpgIMG_9014.jpg

that looks better than one of those fiber board stands , nice job the black and white pops

Picked up the 75G last Saturday. We sadly/reluctantly donated half the fish stock and proceeded to clean and drill out the tank. Made a template from scrap bead boards. The template made such a difference with drill bit alignment as well as avoiding chipping the glass by drilling from both sides of the glass!IMG_9130.jpgIMG_9133.jpgIMG_9135.jpgIMG_9148.jpg

Imagine a "like" button being hit. This is coming along nicely.

Thank You!

We kept the substrate that was originally used and are having second thoughts (CaribSea?). My Son spent over two hours rinsing it through a SS strainer to filter out the muck. It’s been 4 days since the fill and still looks like watered coffee, but s l o w l y settling down.

I’m worried that this will cause him much anguish when time for maintenance...any thoughts?

It's been a few days. Has it cleared up since?

This is the result of 8days of filtration with a new Fluval406 and Marineland BIO-wheel 350 both stuffed to the gills with floss and lava rocks. You can clearly see the difference against the 29G
IMG_9235.jpg

Plan B - Blasting Abrasives

100lbs of Black size 20/40 less than $17 for (2) 50lb bags at your local TSC

looks good, Im getting ready to try another shot at drilling a 20 long for my replacement reef setup. Im in the middle of breaking my 55 down on my custom stand to move it down to a 29 again to. Love using blasting material as substrate. its all my buddy and I use now.

looks good, Im getting ready to try another shot at drilling a 20 long for my replacement reef setup. Im in the middle of breaking my 55 down on my custom stand to move it down to a 29 again to. Love using blasting material as substrate. its all my buddy and I use now.

Hey Nick,

We are just finishing with rinsing the blasting material and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much better it feels than regular sand! I was expecting sharp abrasive pieces and it is quite easy to work with.

I've heard mixed reviews about drilling tanks smaller than 55gal due to glass thickness. Let us know how you fare with your 20 long. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom