Pics of AC500 Bio-Wheel/Spraybar modifications.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Updated pics of these mod's, I did some tweaking here and there.
I ended up setting the axles in bearings instead of just sitting in the slots I cut in the filter and moved them outward slightly (you can see the original slots and where they're set now).
These bio-wheels have been up and running for a long time now, their fully mature and still turn just as well as the first day I set them in bearings and siliconed them in place.

Attachments

• filter_mod_12_612.jpg
    filter_mod_12_612.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 324
  • filter_mod_13.jpg
    filter_mod_13.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 436
More pic's,

Attachments

• filter_mod_14.jpg
    filter_mod_14.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 305
  • filter_mod_front_l.jpg
    filter_mod_front_l.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 882
  • filter_mod_front_r_840.jpg
    filter_mod_front_r_840.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 291
question:

where do u buy the biowheel attachments ??

did u just take it from the penguin ??

The blue bio-wheel 'bearings' were purchased from BigAl's online, but most Petsmart's carry'em and the bio-wheel assemblies.

I didnt realize you posted these in DIY before.. but you can check out my Joined date to see I didnt see them when they were posted.. LOL

I have a question.. how are you getting water into your spraybar? a powerhead?

and again for non aquariacentral members.. the photo not in this thread..

Attachments

• powerhead_diy_pre-filter.jpg
    powerhead_diy_pre-filter.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 141
Chilli.. do you think a UV is wise for the feed water to a bio-fitration medium such as a bio-wheel.. or am I overthinking things again.. :p

Definitely overthinking, but, if we don't think we do stupid stuff and sometimes stupidity hurts :wink:
The UV doesn't affect the ammonia that feeds the bio-bacteria.
The only thing that I can think in its current placement is that perhaps the water clarity flowing thru it isn't as clean/clear as it would be in the outflow of a canister filter. Water clarity is important, it allows the UVS to be more effective, any suspended matter blocks the UV light from reaching unwanted guest. Thats why I put a nice pre-filter on the PH

UV filters are able to kill the following;

free floating algae
free floating parasitic organisms
free floating bacteria

UV filters are NOT able to kill

algae that is stuck to the glass, fish, rocks, plants
parasites your fish are already infected with
bacteria your fish are already infected with

Per the above, UV filters are wonderful tools for free floating algae blooms and keeping the tank safe from parasites and bacteria if the fish are not already infected with them. A good example is the parasite ICH. When ICH is new born and free swimming the UV filter will kill them and keep the tank healthy. Once the ICH have completed their free swimming life cycle and attach themselves to the fish, the UV filter can't help further other then to kill baby ICH.

Like I said, "Nothing too good for my Oscar!".

I guess I was thinking it might be able to kill free floating benifical bacteria.. but once the filter is seeded that wouldnt be a consern.. I guess what I was thinking is the UV wouldnt be too good if you were first starting the cycle on the bio-wheels.. does this make any sense.. of course the spraybar isnt the only water the bio-wheel is getting.. its getting the ~500GPH per from the aquaclear flowing under it as well..

Back
Top Bottom