Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think you need bulkheads if you are just running pipes through the canopy. Bulkheads are only needed if you go through the tank walls so there will be no leak around the pipe. Anything above the waterline, you just need an intact pipe connection, small gap around the pipe is just fine.

I simply run my pipes into the sump (above the water line) through holes drilled through the sides. If you drill the holes just a tad larger than the pipe, there is no escape route. If you want a snug fit, you can use straight couplers. You can use 2 straight (female) couplers (or elbows, depending on configuration), put one on each side of the hole, & join them with a short piece of pipe in between. Get the length of the short pipe just right so the 2 couplers are tight against the material, and you have a seamless through the wall look. If you are going through thin material (say 1/8" or so), you can use a male & a female connector & omit the middle straight pipe.

Purrbox's idea of 2 seperate but joint spraybars is perfect - it would save headaches balancing the 2 outputs to a single pipe run, plus you can use narrower pipes so it will be easier to hide. If you make your spraybars out of PVC, you can plug one end of each bar with a male plug, then connect the 2 with a female-female coupler. You end up with one long bar with 2 seperate inputs (& output).

80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Yup, I was kind of thinking of the 2 separate spraybars a well, but then that means another pipe running into the tank. 2 for the output and 1 for the intake. As for my 29G, because it's not really that big of a tank, I'm just thinking of using the canister filter, and run it to both the heater and CO2 reactor, and then save the 2nd external pump I bought for my 55G project. What I'm really looking for it getting rid of all powerheads in both the 55G and 75G by having a single external pump and a spraybar, and enough flow to eliminate dead spots, as that's where my BGA I was getting was starting at. Once I got good flow with 4 powerheads in my 75G, the BGA went completely away.

As for the pipe going through the canopy, that sounds like a very good idea you brought up. In a way, it's like a bulkhead, but just using a short pipe to go through the wood. And the wood it's going through is probably going to be a 2x6, as the base of the canopy will be 2x6's, and then above the 2x6's will be the rest of the canopy where the lighting will be installed, a solid piece of glass that slips in to protect the bulbs from the water, and a door on the front that swings open. Or maybe even 2 doors that opens like a cabinet. It's going to look really nice when complete. And probably be really heavy too, lol.

Glad you guys and gals are posting, it's giving me some really good ideas. Since I got an unexpected bonus at work this week, I think this weekend I'm going to get all the wood that I need for framing both the base and canopy. Then once I get everything framed, and ready for the cedar, then I'll get that wood. That way I know how much I'll need, and can get what I need. And if it turns out really well, then maybe I'll make a few that I can sell and get my money back, lol.

55G Filstar XP3 - 16" Fire Eel
75G Medium Planted - Filstar XP3 Low Light - Established Feb 2006
Lonewolfblue is offline   Reply With Quote

plant, planted, planted tank, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com