Plants in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I just saw this really cool tank that had plants growing out of their filter. I would love to do a diy version. I have an overhanging filter, and some pothos vines I thought I cold try it with. But I don't really know how to set it up. How do I keep the roots from messing up the intake? What else do I need to know?

Any and all help is appreciated!

The roots can hang in tank instead of filter.
I will be adding plants to the tanks in my fish room this way.

I let my roots hang in the tank. IMG_1942.jpg

I have taller plants in front so they really aren’t noticeable.

Thanks for the reply guys! TMaier, your tank looks lovely! Just what I’m hoping to learn to do. Sorry if I’m being a little slow… So you basically let the roots drape over the output into the main tank? Also did you just use some large gravel to hold the plants in place or did you secure them some other way?
Thanks again!

I bought some $3 clear plastic shower caddies and strung some black wire through it to hang with a 3M hook behind the tank. Filled it with black lava rocks to give the roots something to hold on to and then just planted some Arrowhead plant, some Pothos, and some Sensitive Plant. The tank this is in doesn't have a HOB filter, but I wouldn't want to risk the roots getting down into the motor impeller.

I bought some $3 clear plastic shower caddies and strung some black wire through it to hang with a 3M hook behind the tank. Filled it with black lava rocks to give the roots something to hold on to and then just planted some Arrowhead plant, some Pothos, and some Sensitive Plant. The tank this is in doesn't have a HOB filter, but I wouldn't want to risk the roots getting down into the motor impeller.
Hmm Thats not a bad idea. I could try a mesh container with gravel to help contain the gravel/root system? If the roots get long I can always direct them into the main tank.

Thanks! I keep Mystery Snails that will wander so I have a full hood with 2 2” openings for the canister filter intake and outlet hoses. I just lay the plant on top and fed the vine and roots through the extra room around the hoses.

I have a couple Marina breeder boxes that would work great IMO.

All you need is air to get water into box and to plants.It flows back into tank and has pretty slow flow rates which I would think would be beneficial...

I will start some plants in the boxes and see.

Here is a link to the ones I have[both large and small].

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...p/B005QRDCP2&usg=AOvVaw0NYiN1vFqXsL9RrCPzWBwC

I am doing the same. Just started it up and put some ghost shrimp in it also. I’ve got my return flowing into it just to keep less equipment in the tank. Are you seeing any results? My stuff is rooting real nice now.

I am doing the same. Just started it up and put some ghost shrimp in it also. I’ve got my return flowing into it just to keep less equipment in the tank. Are you seeing any results? My stuff is rooting real nice now.
I just added mine like last week . I was lucky Lowes got fresh plants in so I grabbed one for each Marina.The plants had pretty good roots after I separated them from the potting soil . As for growth of pothos I am sure they will go all the way around the room in time . In regards to effecting the tanks they can't hurt but my tanks are stocked pretty heavy.
Here is pictures of plants and Marinas before they went on tanks.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/coralbandits-fish-room-362673-7.html#post3478234
I did them and will do more mostly for looks in the fish room...But they can't hurt...

Back
Top Bottom