Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Plastic Grate for a DIY sump

Does anyone know where I can get the plastic type grates most sumps/wet drys come with?

I built my own sump/fuge over the weekend, but I can not find the a plastic grate that I need. I've been everywhere looking for one.

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 12-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Home depot, look for suspended ceiling stuff, you should find eggcrates with the light defusing panels.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Checked there... did not see anything. Hmmm... I was thinking along those exact same lines though. Maybe I'll check a different store.

What comes to mind when I think of these plastic grates is the return vents they put in drop ceilings. I just did not see such while I was there.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

They have lots at my local HD - even comes in 3 different colours! May be yours just stock them in a different spot? In the local HD, it was not in lighting, but with the mouldings & wood trims. < Beats me on the logic of that! >

You might want to ask where they stock the ceiling light panels next time you are there. The eggcrates are pretty common here & just about all the DIY stores stock them here.

Any plastic grate should work, IMO. However, the eggcrate is much cheaper (about $6 for a 2x4' sheet). The return vent grates cost much more (something like $10 for a 16" vent).

Tags
diy, diy sump, plastic, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com