Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Plastic plants???

For freshwater tanks I highly recommend them. No fertilization and less sick fish. But DO NOT BUY THE ONES AT THE PET STORE, unless you like wasting money. You see, even if you keep them clean, they eventually loose color, and look even more fake.

Instead, go to Hobby Lobby. They sell all kinds of decorative fake plants that are created to look real. Pick out a few of the all plastic ones that mimic what underwater plants look like. I try to find those that are 50% off when I go in.

They have wire in them so they can bend and stay bent. Cut to size and trim about 1/2 inch or so of the plastic off the end so the bare wire shows. Put a bullet style fishing weight over the wire and bend the end. I can get 4-5 plants off each one I buy.

Super cheap and more realistic than the ones made for fishtanks. And instead of tedious cleaning, I just throw them out and get new ones. Less than a quarter of what you pay for the others, and easy to make.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any issues with the exposed wire in the tanks?

I have also started buying all my fake plants at hobby lobby during their frequent sales.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome idea. Definitely gonna have to start doing this!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The wires will rust away, but by then you will probably need to replace them anyway. But I usually get a few from each plant i buy, so not a problem. Watch for the sales usually 50% off. The bigger problem with some is that the branches can pop off some, so check them out good at store.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How are there less sick fish with fake plants? Real plants take up nitrate in the water creating a healthier environment.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
How are there less sick fish with fake plants? Real plants take up nitrate in the water creating a healthier environment.

And I thought exposed metal wires creating rust was...... Oh never mind.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have seen tanks with both plastic and silk plants
the plastic ones looked so fake I couldn't take a second look
the ones I've seen with silk plants looked more realistic but up close you could tell they were fake too , another thing I've noticed with silk plants you can see how they allow algae growth leaving black spots every where

Another think to consider are all the toxins leaching out of those fake plants
a lot of times these things are over looked , same goes with some of the rocks we find
not all rocks are safe for our tanks , some contain minerals that are toxic to fish

I look at things differently if you want to create nature use living things not fake
not only do we know it's fake so do your fish ,fake plants don't produce oxygen but can hold and produce both nitrates and phosphates and other toxins , now with live plants you have a mini ecosystem that converts all those nitrates and phosphates into oxygen , which in return helps break down the ammonia , producing nutrients that both your plants and fish need

leading to a happy healthy tank
Old 10-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussSerio View Post
For freshwater tanks I highly recommend them. No fertilization and less sick fish.
:
Less sick fish? What is this statement based on? Certainly not science. If you like fake plants, fine, but don't make ridiculous claims. As for fertilization, if you have fish in the tank you have fertilizer being produced. There are lots of varieties of plants that don't require any additional fertilization, or even a fertile substrate.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

1) I have never had problems over the rust- not enough of it to cause problem (10 years running)
2) FERTILIZERS ARE BAD!!!!!!
3) You don't have that a fertile substrate in a new setup.

Look, not everyone wants to put that much work into a tank. (fishtank vs. ecosystem)
I just put out what MY experience has been (40 yrs freshwater tanks). Information, yes: argue, no.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussSerio View Post
1) I have never had problems over the rust- not enough of it to cause problem (10 years running)
2) FERTILIZERS ARE BAD!!!!!!
3) You don't have that a fertile substrate in a new setup.

Look, not everyone wants to put that much work into a tank. (fishtank vs. ecosystem)
I just put out what MY experience has been (40 yrs freshwater tanks). Information, yes: argue, no.
Where do you get your information about how ferts are bad?

Tags
plant, plants, plastic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com