Plastic ship for the tank? *update w/ pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D and C Mac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did a lenghty search through the forum and through Google, and found nothing. So, I have a model submarine that I am considering assembling for the tank. However, I know that I have to be extremely careful in the selection of paints and adhesives so that it doesn't affect the delicate environment of the fish tank itself. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could assemble the submarine in such a way that it won't poison the fish and will still stay in one piece? Any suggestions for adhesives and paint?

Thanks,

D

Airplaine glue seems to be common with model building (I dont think its a good idea for fish tanks)

superglue has been used to repair plastics without issue though, I would consider using it over airplane glue..
Krylon has been used and is holding up so far as Ive heard for paint for underwater use. You might want to double check to see if anyone has had issue with it online so far though. I would think it would take a huge amount of masking to use Krylon exclusively for a model build though.

paints might be a little tougher but for the glues, super glue has been used by many without ill effects. You could also consider the cements used for PVC plumbing. I don't know how well it would work with model plastics though so you might want to do a little experimenting. Also, the Weld-On cements for acrylic work, again, dont know how they would function for model plastics.

let us know what you come up with and what you're thinking.

(and be sure to take plenty of pics when its done!)

I've heard that salties use crazy glue (cyanoacrylate adhesives) to attach coral frags to rocks. If it's safe for SW, it should be fine for FW too. As far as paint, try to get an epoxy-based paint.

Both glue and paint should be allowed several days to cure.

How are you going to get the model to stay on the bottom? Most models are made of polystyrene, a plastic that most definitely floats. Plus, it will be hollow, water-tight and full of air if you do a good glue job. You may have to fill the model with gravel before gluing the halves together. Even then, it may still move around and require some kind of attachment to something heavy and stationary.

Good luck! Definitely post pics.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll definitely post pictures as I go along. I think crazy glue should work; this is polystyrene and I don't think there will be any issues there. As for the Krylon, I'mma gonna use Krylon flat black, maybe add some decals, and then seal the whole thing with Krylon clear coat, if possible. Hopefully it turns out well; expect a 2-3 week completion time :D. Now to decide between the Alpha-class sub or the L.A.-class sub...

This decoration is going to be a solemn memorial to all those who have given all in the line of duty...may we never forget them 8)

Do you have salt or fresh water? Isn't salt more corrosive? This factor into the equation, no?

"This decoration is going to be a solemn memorial to all those who have given all in the line of duty...may we never forget them"

Very cool. Good luck with it!

Thanks. BTW, it's a FW tank. Here's some pics of what I have so far:

img_611087_0_5092b303025d094b19685035678b778a.jpg

img_611087_1_ffc0bb54d497c731280ccd70559ff10f.jpg

img_611087_2_ec3231cd19d3f39a4957ff7a36925ffc.jpg

I'm not going to be using the display stand, since I'm planning on burying it in a cock-eyed fashion in the gravel. Any ideas for the paint scheme? I was gonna do basic black, but I think it's a bit too plain.

I read that you can use polyurethane varnish to coat objects and make them water tight, the book recommended 3 layers. also said that you can use aquarium sealer to adhere objects to slate and bury them under the substrate to prevent movement

D and C Mac said:
Any ideas for the paint scheme? I was gonna do basic black, but I think it's a bit too plain.

If you're going for authentic then find some pics of modern subs, there is actualy a scheme used that is somewhat two-toned.

Google image search is your friend, here's some examples
submarine.jpg

2-752-86.submarine.y.jpg

050201_pin_submarine.jpg

Thanks for the pics, they're a great help (save the one for the San Francisco - reminded me of the late MM2 (SS) Ashley who tragically passed on in that incident).

I was thinking of doing solid black. The two-tone seems to be strictly in my line of work (I'm a U.S. Navy submariner, that's why I chose a submarine :D ). As far as I know it's only our boats that use two-tone, and even now we're moving away from that and going for the all-black paint scheme.

I'm not looking for anything too authentic, just something that will help to set off the aquarium nicely. Thanks for your guys' help; I'll post pics as more progress is made.

D

you said its a memorial, could always make it brass or bronze looking, not sure if itd fit with your scheme or not.

Back
Top Bottom