Playground Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering if anyone has used generic playground sand like the stuff you buy at Home Depot as a substrate for the bottom of a cichlid tank? I am looking for an alternative to the expensive aroganite and sand sold at the lfs.

What would you recommend? Or is the sand from the lfs the best option?

You can use pool filter sand. I use the black diamond blasting sand. I guess it depends on what color you want.

Don't use it. Most of it is power fine and will be a huge mess when moving things around or cleaning. Use pool filter sand. Your limitation is just going to be color with it. Or use the diamond blasting sand mentioned for a dark color.

Pool filter sand will usually come in white or a light tan. You hardly have to rinse it before putting it in the tank because it's already clean for its intended purpose in the pool. You'll have a diatom breakout a few weeks in without a doubt as it (and play sand) will have more silica in it. It will be ugly but just wait it out. I used it for my FW and SW tanks. At $7-$9 a bag it's worth the money and a huge savings.

I live in VB, VA. At the local pool supply place I paid $9 for a 50# bag of white for the SW build. I paid $8 for a 50# bag of tan at Taylor's Do It center here for the FW build.

I honestly don't have a good answer for you. I can tell you that it didnt seem to help raise mine for the cichlids. I add buffer to my water and added crushed coral as well to the sump.

Back
Top Bottom