Please help me choose the right light for my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abc1971

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First I want to say that I am looking for advice on growing plants and this is not for an aquarium. But rather, growing plants inside under grow lights. I am very interested in buying a lighted hood (designed for fish tanks) mainly because the prices appear to be better than buying grow lights designed specifically for terrestrial plants. T5HO bulbs are the same either way and LED is also making headway for growing terrestrial plants as well.

I need a light fixture at 36" wide for my specific project needs. have narrowed down my search to two possible options:

Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!

Specs:
Dimensions - 35.50" x 7.50" x 2.15" (2.65" with brackets)
Extendable to 40" long max with bracket
Supports 4x 39W T5 High Output lamps
Supports 4x Bluemoon LED
14800 lumens
Quick disconnect ballast
Individual power cords for each function
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Reflector
Acrylic splash guard
CE Certified

The LED option I am considering is this one:

Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!

Specs:

Fixture Size: 34.50" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 24
3240 Lumens
Super energy efficient 3 watt high output LEDs
24x 6500K LED
Use 72 watts

As we can see, the LED has a lot less lumens and I am inclined to believe it is the inferior choice. But I am also overwhelmed by what I am learning online. It seems lumen count doesn't really matter but the PAR does but that information isn't provided so I have no way of knowing if it will be strong enough for my sun loving succulents. For the time being my plants are growing under T5HO lamps (6500K) that are meant for growing terrestrial plants indoors but these lights are on loan and I have to buy my own very soon. Is the LED option I provided too weak?

Hope to get some input, thanks.

A.

Back
Top Bottom