Please help me identify my rocks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I went on a rock finding mission the other day, and found two types of rocks. I want to know if I can use them. I did the vinegar test and it didn't bubble. Here are the pics..

0409000934.jpg

0409000934a.jpg

0409000935.jpg

0409000935a.jpg

0409000935b.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Probably fine for f/w, but I would not use them in saltwater for fear of them leaching out metals.

some of it looks like sandstone too... there's one black piece that looks like a type of sandstone i have in my tank.

Sorry but that's doubtful. All of the "black" stones are the same, and all of the "tan" stones are the same. So if one black stone is slate, the others are the same. Thanks though, I really appreciate it.

I agree with everyone else looks like sandstone & slate. Should be ok in FW tank as i have both types in mine.

Idk where you all are seein any sandstone lol. No offense. I'm still unsure how to tell the dif between shale and slate lol.

Yeah shale from what I've read is a form of slate just "grown" or composed slightly different giving it some similar colors just a slightly less durable feel.

Back
Top Bottom