Plexiglass aquarium pane replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wherearepeople

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I was plumbing my in progress basement sump and got a little aggressive when I pressed the pipe into the bulkhead fitting and cracked the bottom pane. I plan on replacing it with a 3/8 piece of plexiglass that I had lying around. Its a 20 long the will be hopefully be my refugium. has anyone done this or have any idea if it will work?

Attachments

• brokentank.jpg
    brokentank.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 96
  • glassremoved.jpg
    glassremoved.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 100
  • full view left.jpg
    full view left.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 91
For $20 more on Craigslist, I wouldn't risk it. Plexiglass doesnt bond with silicone. I would get a new one and drill it. Or i would get a new pane and replace it, but its not very cost effective.

EDIT: Hey your in Boston, Im not too far away. Hopefully you go to the Connecticut reefers saltwater event in April. Good deals on corals and lots of learning. Its at the Mohegan sun.

yeah Ill probably buy a new pane at home depot or if I can get twenty long from craigslist I will. I definitely wanna check that out Ive wanted to go to those big events but have never really looked into it.

Thats very generous of you I would appreciate it. I actually just siliconed in the plexiglass piece it only cost me the five bucks for the silicone and I figured it was worth a try, its curing now. If it doesn't work at least we know it doesn't work. If this doesn't work I would greatly appreciate the tank.

Attachments

• 2010-03-08 12.05.39.jpg
    2010-03-08 12.05.39.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 2010-03-08 11.41.10.jpg
    2010-03-08 11.41.10.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 100
You might get away with the plexiglas since it's the bottom pane. All the water is pressing the plexiglas down into the frame of the tank, so the silicone just has to act as a gasket. It doesn't have to hold the pressure like the sides. It's worth a shot, but just make sure to test it somewhere that you don't mind a flood.

So apparently silicone doesn't bond with plexiglass. it leaked pretty thoroughly and now I'm in the process of getting a pane of glass to replace it with. I just called a glass place and had them cut a piece to size for twenty bucks

Back
Top Bottom