Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

plumbing ?????

I'm designing the plumbing for my new tank...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209

The tank is about 40gal. and will have a wet/dry with a 10gal.sump...(The filter design is still in my head, but is based on combination of DIY and commercial filters)...I want everything hidden, yet easy...this type of filtration is new to me, and I want to get it right

My overflow will be part of the tank, and will siphon water(in therory) from the lower section of the tank(I was looking at overflows from "ALL-GLASS")...

I'll be using a 1" "Stockman" style standpipe(thinking I can adjust flow with the shut off),

and a "RIO1100" pump for the return with 1/2"PVC spraybars

I also have this idea of placing another shut off between the main 1" shut off and the wet/dry... reduce this down to a 3/8 barbed fitting to connect a flex line for a gravel washer...

??? #1 is my thinking right?

??? #2 will the siphon from the gravel washer pull so much water that I'll have to adjust the main shut off everytime I use it?

[img][/img][/url]

Old 12-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good to me, but I am no expert. The only thing I am wondering is if the gravel washer attachment is going to work as planned... I don't see why not, but maybe putting it in a "Y" connection instead of a "T" would increase the flow, kind of like how a dishwasher hooks into the drainpipe of a sink? Just a thought...

Old 12-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I never understood the concept of a sump. Why not a canister?
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sumps add to the total gallons of your tank, allow you to place heaters and stuff in there, allow for big areas of bio-media and mechanical filtration, provide a place for denitrifying algae to grow or a refugium if you want, top off your water easily, disperse chems... The list of benefits is long!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklid
Sumps add to the total gallons of your tank, allow you to place heaters and stuff in there, allow for big areas of bio-media and mechanical filtration, provide a place for denitrifying algae to grow or a refugium if you want, top off your water easily, disperse chems... The list of benefits is long!
I agree. A filter will add to the water volume, but not as much, depending on the size of the canister. It also eliminates some clutter in the main tank, like heaters and other things.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

as for the gravel washer.... Ill try both the Y and the T and keep whatever works best...

as for the sump ...I want to eliminate all the clutter from the tank....besides I can build the wet/dry sump combo cheaper than a canister

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is what I meant with the "Y"... it seems like this would give you a faster flow of water, less restricted path. I am just not sure if there is a PVC part that would do this easily of not.
Attached Images
File Type: gif graphic1_126.gif (3.2 KB, 525 views)
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking the "T" will be horizontal and I could angle "45" up from that

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I design and sell industrial steam and hydronic systems for work. You're not going to have much difference between a Y-pattern and a standard tee. The throughput should be almost identical, because water is fluid.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I am sure the sytems you design are either pressureized (steam) or pumped (hydro-whatever) and the system I am chiming in about is a gravity-fed one... one in which I am sure has to suffer some benefit fom being pointed towards the sky, which is where gravity would be a factor. I have to beleive there is some turbidity at the T junction which would not be present at a Y. Also, the inlet of the T would be pointing out at a horizontal plane, which could only mean the hose would droop just before it enters the inlet, further adding resistance to the gravity fed system since it would have to travel uphill... I know what you mean, these factors are probably minimal, but why not maximize what you've got?

Tags
plumbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com