Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Plumbing is leaking

The last few days we have started to set up the fish tank again. We are running the plumbing from the main floor to the laundry room in the basement. There is 2 small leaks. We tightened all the PVC. We tried aquarium safe silicon at first. Then wrapped with miracle wrap around all the seams. Still had small leaks so put more silicon on. It's still leaking! Any other ideas?!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402722561.084707.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	240350

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402722577.827851.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	240351

Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you used PVC cement ? Also, I'd use a lot of caution around that outlet especially if you're having leaky pipe issues. Perhaps consider changing that to a GFI outlet if it is that close to water. Just my own thought process.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #4

We thought PVC cement was unsafe for aquarium use so we haven't tried that. Wish I would have asked sooner! Could have saved time and money!

GFI is a great idea also! When we noticed the leaking we just flipped the breaker off. Our plans were to make a new outlet above and to the right of the tank to avoid moisture. Gfi sounds a lot easier

Thank you
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainside13 View Post
We thought PVC cement was unsafe for aquarium use so we haven't tried that. Wish I would have asked sooner! Could have saved time and money!

GFI is a great idea also! When we noticed the leaking we just flipped the breaker off. Our plans were to make a new outlet above and to the right of the tank to avoid moisture. Gfi sounds a lot easier

Thank you

I dug around here a bit and came up with this one here. is PVC cement safe?
Also, a quick google search yielded this as well. https://www.google.com/search?q=is+p...&client=safari

GFI would help in a leak situation ( and is a national building code around water, I believe ) but moving it AND making it a GFI is the smartest option. If it's only one ore two outlets on that breaker, I would def go for it and while your at it, make that one a four gang outlet.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainside13 View Post
The last few days we have started to set up the fish tank again. We are running the plumbing from the main floor to the laundry room in the basement. There is 2 small leaks. We tightened all the PVC. We tried aquarium safe silicon at first. Then wrapped with miracle wrap around all the seams. Still had small leaks so put more silicon on. It's still leaking! Any other ideas?!
It is almost impossible to fix a leak by applying stuff to the outside of the connection. My advice is to redo all the plumbing using pvc cement for all the joints, otherwise you are going to be constantly chasing leaks.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

PVC glue should help with the leaks in pic #1. I am thinking the PVC piping is the drain line since it is larger. Not sure if it available in this size, but using either 45 degree elbows or 90 degree "long sweep" style elbows will cut down on the water resistance. Or you could find an appropriate sized clear flexible hose for the drain and not worry about all of those potential places for leaks or elbows. Plus since it is flexible it is easier to work with and around.
For the leak in pic #2, you may have to remove the entire bulkhead fitting, clean off the silicone, replace the rubber gaskets, clean the area around the hole where the gaskets sit and put it back together. Make sure the fitting is stewed on tight. It a lot of work but a lot less expensive compared to potential floor/wall damage and electrical hazards. Good luck with this.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 for replumbing with PVC cement

Tags
leak, leaking, plumbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com