Plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a quick question, when connecting pieces of PVC pipe is just slipping them together gonna be water tight or should I use PVC glue I would think the glue would be harmfull to fish.

Glue them. You might be OK for the overflow, but definitely glue the return.
Just your basic PVC glue and teflon tape for threaded connections should do it? On the Return it goes from 1/2" PVC to an adapter then 1" tubing connected with a clamp to about 6" of tubing. The tubing slips over the flow director tightened with another clamp. Does this sound right or is there a better way to connect 1/2" pvc to a flow director??

I would assume let the glue sit 24hours before use? Also kinda worried about residue from glue and any residue from the new plumbing getting into the tank. And I have had my protein skimmer disconnected while trying to figure out my setup I would assume the bacteria in the protein skimmer has died and i may see a mini-cycle when I hook it back it Probably not that big of deal as long as I keep up on PWC I would assume

Last edited:
Yep, glue the slip fittings and teflon tape the threaded fittings. If the hose clamps are real close to water and may get splashed on, you can get nylon hose clamps, but stainless is fine where its dry. The pvc glue won't hurt anything once it dries. 24 hrs to cure is fine.
You won't have any mini cycle because of your skimmer being off. If you still have sw in it, just wash it out before hooking it back up. You don't want to pump that stagnant water back into the tank.

. You don't want to pump that stagnant water back into the tank.
I emptied the water it has some slime on the walls of the skimmer. I can't fit my hand in the cylindar of the turboflotor to clean it. I guess I could use a brush to clean it.
But if I clean it totally won't there be another break in period for the skimmer. The initial break in period for my skimmer was a PIA. I had to add a ball valve between the pump and the skimmer to slow down the flow so my collection cup did not overflow. what causes the break in period of a skimmer I guess is the question. Probably overthinking a bit. I usually do that:confused:

No, the original break in was to remove the oils on the plastic and acrylic from the manufacturing process. That's gone and won't ever come back. Might just take a few hrs or so before it's skimming like normal.

Back
Top Bottom