Plumbing Sumps Return Line.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok The Sump/Refugium will be here soon. I am trying to understand exactly how to plumb the return line from the Mag7pump to the tank. I think the mag7 is 1/2" fitting not 100%sure. So I need a male PVC fitting to insert into the mag7 and then run 1/2" PVC up to the tank where it connects to a u-shaped Flow director http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+14680&pcatid=14680 This is all I have so far.

The guy building my sump recommended the 1/2" funny Pipe http://enterprisesearch.thetoroco.c...ext=funny+pipe&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&render=1 like this here.

I also want to add a shut off valve to help control the flow Maybe a ball-valve

Still a little fuzzy on this still. Any and all feedback regarding the plumbing is greatly appreciated

I'm getting ready to do this as well. I was just going to plumb the entire thing with PVC pipe. My return pump has a male threaded end. I was going to buy a female threaded 90 degree fitting and just screw it on then use regular PVC and glue to pipe the rest.

You are going to need a section of ½ ID flexible hose and a barbed fitting. You can either run the entire length from the Mag to the return with flexible tubing, or you can run it with pvc and then use a pvc fitting with a barbed end and piece of tubing to connect at the return.

Attachments

• ReturnFrSump.jpg
    ReturnFrSump.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 101
  • ReturnToTank.jpg
    ReturnToTank.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 96
Cool, and that just stays on there with no hose clamp?

My sump will not have a return bulkhead fitting so the tubing will go straight from the return pump to the tank. I still am curious about what the piece that actually connects to the return pump looks like. And If I run PVC all the way what will connect the pvc to the barbed end on the u shaped flow director does it have to be the vinyl tubing? Or is there a way to do it without vinyl tubing. Any thoughts on the funny pipe linked above. Also I think a shut off valve is a good idea for flow control and just a backup plan(had some flooding problems before) How do I incorporate this just connect in the middle of the PVC tubing?? And when connecting the PVC pipes do I need an adhesive or just fitting them together will work. I would think without some sort of adhesive or teflon tape or something there would be water leaks. Am I overthinking or is there some more to the story.

Back
Top Bottom