Plywood aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone on here ever built a plywood aquarium? I saw it on Uarujoey's youtube channel and want to build one. Does anybody have plans, details or pics? Anything would be great! Thanks!

I have plans and currently building one. What size you aiming for?

Cool and not sure yet. I'm hoping at least over 100 gallons and I want a long one for cichlids. It all depends on what my dad lets me build. Does it save money to build one rather than buying one?

It does if you do it right. Usually the bigger is best. Because the cost of glass. Depends on ur budget. If you already have glass or a hook up then great. I have to go from scratch. I do have a 240 gallon that I cracked( just back glass) so I will probably build another smaller tank using that. You should get an idea of how much retailers are asking for the size you want and price out material. I'm doing a 600 gallon (inner diameter) I am spending money but no where near what I can buy that tank for already built. Do you have any hookups with material?

I will tell you that people do plywood builds because glass is expensive. I am doing 3/4" thick glass 96"x36" starfire (super clear glass) and that is roughly $1200. I have no connections with materials. That's straight up just me going into a shop not knowing anyone.

It does if you do it right. Usually the bigger is best. Because the cost of glass. Depends on ur budget. If you already have glass or a hook up then great. I have to go from scratch. I do have a 240 gallon that I cracked( just back glass) so I will probably build another smaller tank using that. You should get an idea of how much retailers are asking for the size you want and price out material. I'm doing a 600 gallon (inner diameter) I am spending money but no where near what I can buy that tank for already built. Do you have any hookups with material?

My dad is big into woodworking so I might be able to get plywood on a deal, and my uncle knows a glass guy, so I might be able to get that cheap. But Yeah I don't have anything yet lol, We are still thinking about where we want it and what size. I'm only 15 lol so I can't make a tank as big as I want so it'll most likely be a max 200 gallons. And sounds good.

I will tell you that people do plywood builds because glass is expensive. I am doing 3/4" thick glass 96"x36" starfire (super clear glass) and that is roughly $1200. I have no connections with materials. That's straight up just me going into a shop not knowing anyone.

Wow big tank! And thats expensive! Hopefully i can get something cheaper!

Yup. Even plywood is $67 for 1 sheet of 4x8 1 inch thick. That's why I say bigger is better. Because you can buy a 100-200 gallon for the same price.

I was also thinking about making plywood aquariums. I have an abundance of old window glass, would those suffice? What thickness should it be? I haven't measured it yet.

Depends on size. On depth. My 240 has 1/2". My 600 Will hace 3/4". I guess your tank will depend on the size of your glass.

Back
Top Bottom