Plywood stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been searching around and no one really builds their stand out of plywood. Well I started looking at them in the lfs and found out they aren't built from much. Well I upgraded tanked the same time as my cousin and we both used 3/4 ply. He has a 80gal and I have a 55. Here are some pictures of my stand build.

Determining the size and where to put it.
image-3955524021.jpg

Of course building it in my garage every night. Used 3/4 birch if I can remember correctly. For the edges I used that iron on veneer which ended up perfectly.
image-1311198798.jpg

image-591334627.jpg

image-2049020721.jpg

image-502446367.jpg

Used corner brackets for the top and bottom and couple L brackets for the shelves. I ended up using the top two shelves for shoes than bottom for all the wires and plugs, food, fish accessories.

Attachments

• image-972140792.jpg
    image-972140792.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2183787432.jpg
    image-2183787432.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3204771417.jpg
    image-3204771417.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 138
So I've been searching around and no one really builds their stand out of plywood. Well I started looking at them in the lfs and found out they aren't built from much. Well I upgraded tanked the same time as my cousin and we both used 3/4 ply. He has a 80gal and I have a 55. Here are some pictures of my stand build.

Determining the size and where to put it.

Of course building it in my garage every night. Used 3/4 birch if I can remember correctly. For the edges I used that iron on veneer which ended up perfectly.

Used corner brackets for the top and bottom and couple L brackets for the shelves. I ended up using the top two shelves for shoes than bottom for all the wires and plugs, food, fish accessories.

Looks good but I would be scared to use that. I got a stand with my 60, and I'm scared that it is going to collapse. I know a good video on building stands out of 2x4's If your interested for a future build. It also shoes how to cover it with plywood, and use quarter round for edging.

I thought that too than I asked around and like I said checked out the ones they sell at the stores and never saw one with a piece of wood thicker than an inch. My cousins creaked at first but we realized we never leveled it so re did that.

I thought that too than I asked around and like I said checked out the ones they sell at the stores and never saw one with a piece of wood thicker than an inch. My cousins creaked at first but we realized we never leveled it so re did that.

I'm glad to hear that you got some supports for it. If I have another tank, and I'm sure I will, I'll build my own stand out of 2x4's

That stand is perfectly strong enough to hold the tank. Most of the 2 x 4 builds are serious overkill.

You have to also think about what happens to plywood when it gets wet. I am glad that this build had some iron on layer to protect the plywood. There shouldn't be any problems, but when it comes to safety, and my dish I'd rather overkill.

Ya they plywood will never be exposed to water long enough to do any kind of damage. If I was really worried I would have done a layer of poly on top but like said I only get drops on it and never on the edges.

The verticle plywood is plenty strong as long as the front and back are glued and nailed to Front and backe edges of end panels to keep them from bowing in or out. My 80 gallon has been on a similar stand for 20+ years. My stand does have a vertical divider in center for some additional support and doors on front, adjustable shelves inside.

"... I only get drops on it ..." Drops add up, and there's possibility of splashes and spills. I used exterior grade plywood for actual stand and painted all surfaces, inside, outside and edges. I covered that with a skin of 1/4" oak plywood, ( way cheaper than using 3/4 oak thru-out and walls are a full inch thick.) Stained and sealed exposed oak face, I sealed back side and edges before putting it on, covered exposed edges with stained and sealed oak trim. Made a hood to match.

I have been keepig aquaria for nigh on 50 years now and been a cabinet and furniture maker for almost as long.

Back
Top Bottom