Plywood tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgorum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I have a couple questions regarding a plywood tank build. I recently had a 90 gallon tank crack. I was thinking about doing a plywood build out of the remaining glass. I am left with one 48x24 inch and two 18x24 inch pieces of glass. The main reason I want to go plywood is because I think I can increase the gallonage. Since I.already have the glass it could end up being very cost effective, I actually like the look of plywood tanks if done right but I was wondering about structural integrity. My plan if I can determine if it's safe is to have one main viewing panel and two smaller side Windows. Dimension wise I'm thinking of doing 60 inches long by 36 wide by 24 tall. That would put the tank at about 225 gallons. I've heard that it's more of the height of the water th that determines water pressure on the glass. So my question is, would these dimensions be safe with 3/8 inch glass? If not what is the max size I could safely build with the 3 pieces of glass I have? Thank you for any input you have

Since the glass is 24" it will obviously still be ok, since the top will be braced. The only concern I would have is the ability to work in a tank that size.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if it will work for your house or not but you could do a corner tank with the 3 pains of glass. The main in the front, the 2 small off too the sides and the back 2 in the corner would be ply wood. You could get a much larger tank doing it that way and most of the viewable area will be glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom