Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
And you need to have patience and have a plan

Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Tetra Whisper 10 air pump. It's very quiet. However, I've noticed it's important to make sure nothing is in contact with the air pump such as power cords or air tubes. It's also important to make sure that the air pump's air tube and power cord do not touch anything because they are vibrating with the air pump and will buzz against any other object. I also happen to have it on a folded towel and that probably helps to make it quieter.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Plywood Tanks

You can google "how to build your own tank" One that I ran across was how to build a wooden tank. It had pictures and the directions. I think it is pretty time consuming as well. Give that a try. 3 sides were of plywood and the front was a thick piece of glass.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look up fingerlakesreef.com. They have a plywood section in there. The site doesn't see a lot of traffic but they have some really nice plywood builds.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Plywood tanks are roughly the same if not more expensive then making a glass aquarium from scratch. I think that if you can cut glass or have a good glassier in the area who won't charge an arm and a leg glass is cheaper and easier to work with.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
Quote:
Originally Posted by posleen103 View Post
Plywood tanks are roughly the same if not more expensive then making a glass aquarium from scratch. I think that if you can cut glass or have a good glassier in the area who won't charge an arm and a leg glass is cheaper and easier to work with.
also sometimes its cheaper just to buy an all glass aquarium than making one
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Once you get to a certain size plywood becomes cheaper than glass, especially on really large tanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've build my own big plywood tank a while ago. It might seem overwhelming but definitely worth it if you have the right tools, a plan and patience. It is not necessarily cheaper if you build it properly. But you can make them any size you want. I wanted more length than height so I custom build a 8 foot tank for myself.
I made it with epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth and epoxy paint. Allot of work but I love my tank. And so do my small clownfish in a 8 foot tank.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-guy
I've build my own big plywood tank a while ago. It might seem overwhelming but definitely worth it if you have the right tools, a plan and patience. It is not necessarily cheaper if you build it properly. But you can make them any size you want. I wanted more length than height so I custom build a 8 foot tank for myself.
I made it with epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth and epoxy paint. Allot of work but I love my tank. And so do my small clownfish in a 8 foot tank.
Do you have a pic? I'd love to see it.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Has anyone tried putting windows on the sides. I could see ot being pretty awesome with a port hole or two.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com