Pod Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I did it today. I got home with my new little Neon Goby and decided to go ahead and make the "above tank" pod breeder. I've been putting it off for a while now. I know that the best way to introduce pods to your display is through a gravity return instead of pump return, so I took a 4 gallon rubbermaid container and plumbed it into my tank, above my tank that is (in my fish room). My fuge that is under the tank is so loaded with pods I could almost scoop them out with a spoon so I have a good source for seeding the small pod breeder.

All I did is drilled a hole (hole saw 1") put a bulk head in and plumbed it down and into the tank. I put a 90 at the end of the return with a small piece of pipe to get it below water level. Just to get rid of that noise.

I did put a bed of sand in the bottom of the container just for looks I guess. I'll probably move a few of my mini-stars and a few snails up there when it gets established better. Right now it has a few pieces of LR from my fuge and some Macro in it. I'm lighting it with an 18w 50/50 coralife fixture. I'm not really happy with the amount of light there so I'll probably upgrade to a 24w T5 fixture I've had my eye on.

Ok Ok Ok..here are the pics.....

The container. The rear left you can see the bulkhead. I have a small 3/8 tube as the supply line. I don't want a lot of flow going through this and this does a fine job.

This is the return line coming through the bottom of the shelf. You can also see in this the supply line (clear tube) going up through the same hole

Here is the continuation of the return line going through the wall into the back of the tank.

This is the end of the line and the point where the water is dumped back into the tank. It isn't visible from the front of the tank.

This is the pump I'm using to get water out of the display and up to the pod breeder. It's rated at 80gph. I have it wide open.

Well I thought you all may be interested in see this. Maybe it will help someone out who has had similar ideas.

As always I love to hear from you!

Looks good. Is the pump attached to the top-back of the display tank? I see there is one hose from the pump going back into the pod breeder. I don't see the tube coming from the display into the pump. Is that the setup (another tube coming from the display into the pump and up another tube into the breeder?)

yes, I saw the pump. I only see one tube running from it. I assume this is the tube running back into the breeder. Where is the tube connecting to the pumps inlet?

It doesn't need a tube attached to it as an inlet. It is a submersible pump. It draws water in and pushes it out through that tube.

I see. It looked like it was sitting on the outside of the tank/overflow.

Nice looks cool. I'll have to think about making one of these. Could you get a full tank and pod breeder picture? just to see all of it.

It is almost slilent.

I can't get a pic of the pod breeder with the tank as the breeder is in my fish room behind the tank.

Back
Top Bottom