Polycarbonate (Lexan) Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just received my 6 X 55 brite lite kit from AH Supply. Now I need to replace the full canopy with clear tops. It's a 125 gal so I'll have 2 panels 35 inches long x 15-16 inches wide. My DIY lighting enclosure is 72 inches by 10 inches and will reat on the tank frame, not on theses panels.

Does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't use Lexan? How about the thickness? I can get 1/8 or 1/4 inch.

lexan sounds good, seeing as how it is unbreakable, looks like the perfect cover for something

I'd go with 1/4" mainly because of that 35" length you mention ... the 1/8" stuff warps real easy

I wonder if it will yellow or fog due to exposure to the heat and radiation from the lights?

depending on the cost - it might be cheaper to go with 3/16th or 1/4" tempered glass, which would be nearly as durable, and less likely to warp than plastic, and, will not discolor from exposure to heat and radiation.

a salty would say - leave the top open, it's better for evap :) but fw planted tank, a tight fitting closed top is your best friend for keeping CO2 trapped inside the water where it belongs!

My only experience with Lexan was in the food service, working with it in the kitchens. It had a tendency "cloud" over time, especially if flexed often or heated. (yea.. I set a few tubs on the stove when I didn't think it was on :? ) I think I would agree with JDIY and go with glass. It's actually much less expensive than lexan and plexi. Take a look in your phone book under the hardware stores section, You can likely find a number of places that will cut a piece of glass to your exact measurements. If you look under the Glass sections you could even find a place that will finish the edges for you to take off the sharp edges.

I'd check out acrylic. I just picked up a 4 x 3 foot sheet of 3/16" the other day and plan on designing a cover my 35g. Your 125g is quite a bit bigger, however this stuff is pretty rigid so I'm pretty sure it'll still work and it's cheap. Look up plastics companies in the phone book and compare it to glass and lexon.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom