polyurethane foam in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longbrro

Aquarium Advice Regular
hay guys.........
i wonder if i can use polyurethane foam in my costume made background ...and is it safe to the aquarium and fishes........does the water get poisoned by this kind of materials????

I tried this for my river tank and I found that as long as you seal it with several layers of epoxy and make sure the entire surface that touches the water is covered you will be ok. If not, even if the foam is cured it eventually, within about two weeks, softens and is more mush than anything. I am assuming you are referring to the foam called Great Stuff. If you are, I have used that and just warning make sure you use gloves, mask and plan ahead before you spray or you will be dealing with a big mess.

i found that the foam is " weapon of mass destruction " for the aquarium....so im trying white cement with a material called " blu bond " actually i dont know the wht it is but it is safe to seal with it the swimming pools and small parks.....so i will try it and send u photo of it if u want but first send me your mail...

I have personally seen a method similar to this used on a 24 Gallon Saltwater Current USA Aquapod.

The overflow wall was coated with a black colored foam and rocks were embedded inside the foam to dry; making sure the foam was not covering the overflow teeth.

Months later the aquarium had beautiful purple coralline algae covering the foam and rocks.

I don't know if there were any problems with the foam leaching toxic chemicals into the water.

I am assuming/thinking maybe they became inert once dried, but again I am not 100%.

However, again I did see the tank and the purple coralline algae covering the foam and rocks, which looked good.

If there were any mishaps with this unit along the way, for example immediately after the foam dried and then it was filled with water, corals and a few fish, it wasn't reported.

Very good question... but with little information on the exact science/details on the exact foam and method used.

I'll find out more and report back...

Back
Top Bottom